cycling 20 gal to be used for plants, shrimp, and rasboras

BettaBeats

starting my new tank today after a nice trade with jordin. already filled and cycling, my new aquaclear 30 i got for an amazing price @ Riverfront is working well. boiling water to try to get a piece of driftwood to sink, so i may be in need of some rocks to tie this piece down.

I also saw some plants for a good price. 30% off the filter.

and really expensive shrimp.

?

3.99 for a ghostie

im wondering what i can do - can i put in a java fern, and some crypts now, or should i wait a few days?

and when would it be a good time to put in some filter media from my other tank?

also in need of a nice and high powered lighting for my tank.

Edited by BettaBeats

How about posting a picture of this pricey ghostie! I'd like to see this guy. :)

i did have my camera but didnt take pics.

they ahve amazing arrowanas so i hope the new place (with paved parking and a better roof) will showcase them.

i will be going back though, to pick up some stock by the end of the month.

its my type of fish store, but they also had cherry shrimp in the summer for 6.99 each.!

Edited by BettaBeats

for setting up the new tank, you should fill up as much as you can from another tanks water. up to half. and use lots of the other filters media. or just use the entire filter on the new tank for a while at least. as long as they are approximatly the same size filters.and you can put plants in now as well.

when i setup a new tank and follow this method i will put fishin the tank in 24 - 48 hours. just make sure the heater works and the filter is good.

You don't want the filter to sit on an empty tank too long - it won't have food. I set tanks up and just go with full bioload if I'm using an extablished filter and/or fully planted.