potassium permanganate

Drug stores carry it in chemist grade which is purer than what most stores would carry (If any stores still carry it). Safeway would only order in a minimum of one kilo but Shopper's brought in 1/2 kilo for me. I forget what it cost. Remember it eats organic material (including gill tissue) and I believe it also eats metal so caution is required. I mainly use mine to sterilize tanks that have hair algae (after I remove the fish and chuck the plants).

I purchased a jar containing 100 gm from a compounding pharmacy. They ordered it in for me. They could also get the stock solution if I had wanted.

I am not positive but I think I saw some at the new Pisces in Calgary, also.

Edited by gobies et al

I know safeway can order it in and it cost $8.67 plus GST total for 100grams. you might be able to get bigger amounts but i didn't ask. 100grams according to the Professor makes 1L of stock solution

Here is the most helpful thing i've found on the topic.

University Professor Article Ignore pond babble.

Good luck

L

P.S. one of the other links for some reason failed to bookmark or i can't find said to be cautious with african cichlids and more specificly Lake Malawi species because their gills are more sensitive. The other thing was it's okay to dose non Cichlid tanks but NEVER more than once in a long while as some would have you do to treat Ich. It's great for sterilization of new plants though. I do a five minute concentrated bath. (that i now realize is about 20 times more concentrated than the stock solution perscribed in the article) the plants have survived completely unharmed so far.

Edited by Ishkabod

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll check Safeway, if not, I'll check a few drugstores around my area. My Discus lately seem to be flicking a little bit, I noticed I have copepods but I am worried maybe they have flukes. I am pretty sure Pieces doesn't carry it because I work there :P The only stuff we carry is a product that contains a very weak solution of PP. I heard all you have to do to treat, is add some into a bottle with water until it turns a bright pink color?

Potassium permanganate has to be handled very, very carefully!

I created this file outlining uses for KMnO4 for another forum. The problem I had using this stuff was having to hunt all over for the necessary information for safe usage.

Potassium_permanganate.pdf

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the article. I am a little confused on dosing though, how much would I add to a 45g tank?

If you are treating for parasites, you have the options of dipping, short bath or long bath. If you are intending on treating in the tank, realize you will wipe out your filter bacteria at higher than 2mg/liter, so you would be looking at the long bath. Calculate the tank volume and convert to liters. Remember to aerate the water well. Also keep Hydrogen peroxide on hand to negate the KMnO4.

Take another look at the solution at Pisces. It is probably a premixed stock solution with directions on how much to add. Don't attempt this until you understand.

I used the dip method with my Koi, and that went well.

Thank you very much for the article. I am a little confused on dosing though, how much would I add to a 45g tank?

If you are treating for parasites, you have the options of dipping, short bath or long bath. If you are intending on treating in the tank, realize you will wipe out your filter bacteria at higher than 2mg/liter, so you would be looking at the long bath. Calculate the tank volume and convert to liters. Remember to aerate the water well. Also keep Hydrogen peroxide on hand to negate the KMnO4.

Take another look at the solution at Pisces. It is probably a premixed stock solution with directions on how much to add. Don't attempt this until you understand.

I used the dip method with my Koi, and that went well.

Thanks. Yes the solution says it's PP 3.4%. I could always just follow that route if you think it would be easier.

That would probably be the easiest and hopefully their instructions for dilution is clear. The hardest part for me was measuring out the tiny amounts of KMnO4 needed using the powder. I didn't know then to make up a stock solution first to increase the accuracy of the dilution. That was an experience that has stayed with me. I did the short dip which is the most potent, timed very carefully, and all was well. My koi stopped being itchy and stopped jumping. I wish you the same success. :thumbs: