Itsy Bitsy Shrimpies

werner

I've got baby shrimp! I got some crystal reds and blacks a while back and one female came carrying eggs. They finally hatched within the last day or so. These guys apparently have no larval stage and the eggs hatch into miniature adults. Here's the best pic I can get:

They are only about 2-3mm long, but they are red enough to see against the gravel. I've spotted about 5 or 6 so far, and there are probably more hiding in the plants.

Do you know how to tell males from females?

Well, the female with the eggs was obvious. Otherwise, I can't tell them apart very well. :(

There's some sexing info with pics here.

Also some good information about them here and general shrimp reproduction info here.

The reproduction page talks about a female being ready to mate shortly after molting and that the males in the tank will swim around the tank in a drunken manner looking to find her. I had some serious shrimp craziness going on last night and there was a molted carapace on the bottom. This morning there's another female (same one?) that is carrying eggs!

humm...I know I have females, so some must be males...and I got mine the same time as you...from Chantal, and I tried the no heater thing, and now I have a heater in there 'cause it's right in front of a window...but I was wondering how cool to let it get. Oh well...I guess they'll 'do it' when they feel up to it...lol

• 2 weeks later...
will any be for sale in the future?

Not in the near future... I'm going to see if I can actually get consistent production. Plus, I don't think I could catch any of the little suckers yet since they'd fit right through the holes in the net!!!