Seachem Stability

tix

This product adds good bacteria to tank but can you over use it and cause a problem.

Reason for asking is my GSP's sometimes end up floating near top of tank 8-10 hours after water change gasping for air...

I break surface tension with outake of canister filter above water level and some air. Also only chance 12 gals out of 38 gal tank without stirring up too much of gravel with a syphon system. Also use prime and premix everything at same temp prior to putting in the new water. Tanks is 5 years or more old.

Any ideas?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Edited by tix

This product adds good bacteria to tank but can you over use it and cause a problem.

Reason for asking is my GSP's sometimes end up floating near top of tank 8-10 hours after water change gasping for air...

I break surface tension with outake of canister filter above water level and some air. Also only chance 12 gals out of 38 gal tank without stirring up too much of gravel with a syphon system. Also use prime and premix everything at same temp prior to putting in the new water. Tanks is 5 years or more old.

Any ideas?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I use it, but only for new set-ups (first week only) ...Are you using it for water changes?

I'm not salt expert or even a beginner in salt but i don't think you need Stability for water changes. Allthough the manufacturers of Cycle and some other freshwater bacterial supplements really push the use in every day water changes and it does sell more product I have yet to see anyone report losses or anything because the didn't add a bacteria supplement. The bacteia that really matters should be in the substrate and in the filter not in the water itself. One last thing I don't remember for sure but i don't think stability is for salt water. I'm too comfortable to get up and check but someone else on the forum might know a bit better.

Hope this might help.

L

Seachem Stability is for salt and they do recommend it used (ei: 1 cap per 20 gal) when doing water changes but I didnt see that instuction clearly and also was told to use it 1 cap per 4 gals....well I have now decided to only use prime from now on and see what happens.

Thanks all

:smokey: :smokey: :smokey:

Edited by tix