Buying in the US and shipping home

Shai

In a month I am going to Las Vegas. (It's my first time to Vegas and my first time outside Canada since the mid 90s.)

For a while now I have wanted to get an Eheim 2217 for my 55g tank. I see they're about $200 new. I've been a bit hesitant to buy used, but they don't seem to come up for sale that often anyway.

Since the dollar is strong (hopefully it'll still be strong next month) I have wondered if it could be worth it to buy the filter in Vegas and ship it home via FedEx, UPS or some such. I know that certain kinds of items are often waaaaay cheaper in the US (even after dollar conversion) but I don't know if Eheims fall into that category. Also, I really have no idea about things like border duty and whatnot. What do these filters retail for in the states? After shipping fees and duty would it be about the same as buying it at home?

All help appreciated. : )

In a month I am going to Las Vegas. (It's my first time to Vegas and my first time outside Canada since the mid 90s.)

For a while now I have wanted to get an Eheim 2217 for my 55g tank. I see they're about $200 new. I've been a bit hesitant to buy used, but they don't seem to come up for sale that often anyway.

Since the dollar is strong (hopefully it'll still be strong next month) I have wondered if it could be worth it to buy the filter in Vegas and ship it home via FedEx, UPS or some such. I know that certain kinds of items are often waaaaay cheaper in the US (even after dollar conversion) but I don't know if Eheims fall into that category. Also, I really have no idea about things like border duty and whatnot. What do these filters retail for in the states? After shipping fees and duty would it be about the same as buying it at home?

All help appreciated. : )

Just take it with you on the plane as a carry on.... We bring back a ton of stuff everytime we go to Veags... Make sure your declare it.

You can also take it in your luggage or boxed as a second piece of luggage. There's some good deal on aquarium equipment in the US(as much as I hate to say it!!). I try to support my lfs as much as possible but I saw a tank in the US for 20 dollars that was 50 dollars here. Things that make you go hmmm!!

I definitely won't have room in my carry-on or checked luggage for the filter. It would have to come back to Canada separately.

If you're going to ship, do so via USPS to avoid brokerage fees.

A couple of things to also keep in mind, if your filter gets damaged in transit, or goes MIA, you will most likely

not be covered by insurance. If the parcel gets checked at the border, being that it's made in Germany (a non NAFTA country) a tarrif may be applied, as will GST. Big Al's (USA) lists the 2217 + kit for $150.00, so when you factor in your various costs & risks in shipping it cross border, you might be better off just picking one up locally.

Since you are traveling, you can send the filter home to yourself and still claim it as part of your personal tax exemption to avoid the duty... whether it's worth the amount of paperwork involved is up to you.

Making your Declaration

Whenever I traveled out of Canada, any packages I've been expecting from the US (eBay or whatever) just happen to get inspected. Coincidence?

Weeeell, it sounds like I'll be better off buying it at home and supporting the local economy. : ) Now to price it out all over town...

Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by Shai

Oooh! Thanks Boom!

I wonder if I need enough supplies currently to bump the cost over $200...