aquasoil substitue

fleshgear

i have been doing some reading about using soil under the gravel and would like to try it out and see what happens. i was thinking about trying it in a 10 gallon tank to start.

i read that Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix works good.

any other suggestions? i prefer the cheaper methods.

Just so you don't make the same mistake I did. Screen your soil and get the wood bits out of it or you could end up leeching wood oil into your water(toxic). Too much organic matter in the soil can lead to your room smelling like a cat pee'd there. On the other hand charcoal solved the wood oil problem. I added a bubbler because the soil was consuming too much oxygen. And the smell subsided after 2 months. I used circle H farms compost from canadian tire. I'd recommend a different potting soil as it just isn't suitable.

i read that too much organic material is bad.

how is your tank working out now?

Plants are growing good. algae has subsided. I'm still bubbling the water. I may test it overnight soon to see if I can do without.

any other suggestions?

Here is a simple test to reveal organic content. Take the any substrate and fill a gem jar about 25% full. Fill with water up to 75%. Now we have 25% soil -- 50% water and 25% air space. Shake well and reshake before allowing to settle.

Let time pass, and observe. What do you end up with?

If it is floating it may be slightly potent for these purposes.