White specks floating around

timbruun

I'd like to get my water nice and clear. I have these white specks floating around in the water. It doesn't appear to bother the fish. My stats are fine. I have them in my 90gal and 55 gal but harder to see in the 55 since lighting is alot less. The pictures make it look worse than it actually is. You'll probably notice I need to clean my intake tubes... but I can't see that being it. Filtration is 2 Aquaclear 110, a powerhead with filter attachment and a bubble filter - similar to hydor i think.

I tried filter floss hoping it would take out small particles, but it hasn't really helped. All the fish are acting normally, only thing I do noticed rarely is the odd fish rubs against the sand. Nothing on a regular basis though and from what I can see it's not the same fish each time.

I do weekly water changes of at least 30%. Usually closer to 50%. I'm slowing down on the feeding for a bit to see if that helps.

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

I had similar white flecks in my african tank after adding stone I collected on the elbow river. The blue-ish grey slate(?) with white streaks and blotches. Anyway it looks very similar to the stone in your tank, and it took a little over a week to settle for me. I notice everytime I wash the stonework or move it around alot my white specks return for a day or so. Not sure if your specks are the same thing, just my 2 cents. PS: My african cichlids also tend to rub their sides against the substrate now and then, no signs of ich, so I think it's somewhat normal as far as I can tell.

My tank has been set up for a few weeks and nothing has settled. Doesn't really show signs of settling either. My Piranha tank doesn't have any kind of rockwork, just pebble substrate with driftwood, and it still has it a bit.

That's what I figured with the rubbing since it's nothing consistent.

just a complete guess but what about "micro bubbles" i noticed there seems to be more of the white specs higher in the tank rather then lower try filling the tank up right to the top so it is almost overflowing this way there is no "waterfall" effect out of your filters HOB filters tend to do that for me i could be totally out to lunch good luck

I usually have the tank right full so there is no waterfall effect. I'm going to try doing a few large water changes a few days in a row and see what happens. I've been reading and someone mentioned that high mineral content in water can cause white specks? Would that be true?

Thanks for the replies so far.

It almost seems to be coming from my tap water... I just did a 50% water change and it looks like there are more bubble... Would it work to put an inline filter from my tap to see if it can take whatever it is out? And if so would 5 micron be enough?

It almost seems to be coming from my tap water... I just did a 50% water change and it looks like there are more bubble... Would it work to put an inline filter from my tap to see if it can take whatever it is out? And if so would 5 micron be enough?

I had something like this happen to me before,the particles were to small to filter out what finally worked for me was a floculant that they sell in pet stores it makes the small particles stick together so that they can be filtered out.I'm sorry I cant remember the product name but it came in drops in a small green plastic bottle.You will have to keep an eye on your filters as the plug fast when you put this in.