RIP 6 juvie blue rams

Guppygirl

I had been dealing with many, many problems with these 6 juvies rams. I have never had these fish before and now I am not so sure I ever want to deal with them again. I love the look of them but the problems. They looked healthy at the auction but once home downhill from there. They seem to get shimmies(may have got a chill), then the scratching on objects-ich treated-no response, then tried anti-parasite-no response,the last two had fin rot- all have died within the two weeks since the auction. So RIP little fish- I had so much hope for you when I saw you. Now to tell my brother my Xmas present didn't make it to Christmas. Bummer. :cry: :boxed: :(:angry:

Sorry to hear about your loss. My expirience with rams is that they are a sensitive fish just like neons & cardinals.

I have 4 wild, a pair from the auction, and 4 from the last meeting in my tank with cardinals, neons, and one lone discus that needs friends. So far the only problem I have is the wild ones scrap it out for the best spots in the tank.

Don't be discouraged on keeping rams. If you fail once try and try again, eventually they will live for you.

I feel for your loss. Rams are one of my favourite fish but I will not keep them again in Calgary water. I've tried them many times in established tanks and lost them all. So unless I'm going to ***k around with our "harder than rock" water, they are off my fish list. Too bad because they are such a pretty fish and such fun to watch!!

I have GBRs in our "harder than rock" hard water. I've found you have to be really really really really really REALLY cautious about acclimatizing them to home aquaria here. Float and mix tank water with LFS water for two or three hours before releasing into a dark tank. Overnight drip method would be best if you can trust yourself and be that patient. With respect to the tank being mature, I personally wouldn't consider any tank under 6 months old to be suitable.

Also, if they weren't bred here, it's exceptionally tough to find good LFS specimens. Locally bred is easier because they were born in our water...but they still need extra care.

Don't give up! They are great fish to have. : )