Which Eheim

timbruun

Sorry, I've never used the 2028. I have three 2217s and I love them, though. Simple concept but it works.

From a quick look on the net, the 2028 seems to be easier to prime, but that is more of a first time pain rather than a constant struggle with the 2217. Also, there is a maintenance indicator on the 2028, which tells you when you need to go in and change something. I rarely open up my canisters, so that is not a major sell for me either. On the Pets and Ponds site, you are spending an extra $100 for those functions. Your call. HTH.

I'm a huge Eheim fan, and have always used the Classics. As pointed out above, priming can take a 'jiggle' of the canister in the classics, but that's about it. On a 90, I'd personally add an HOB (either an AC110 or AC70) as well as the canister. Canisters are great, but I've personally always preferred to run two filters on my tanks if possible (a canister and HOB).

• 1 month later...
2028 also has more media space and comes with spray bar and attachments.

I just bought a 2217 for my 55g and it came with media, spray bar, hoses, and valves too.

I was considering buying the 2028 because I'd heard the 2217 would be hard to prime, but in the end decided not to spend the extra money. I found the 2217 very easy to prime so I don't know what everyone complains about.

I like that the 2217 has no baskets or other restrictions in the canister itself--I can put whatever media I choose into it, in whatever configuration I want, and I can be sure the entire canister is filled so there is no bypass.

I also like the 2217 because the water intake goes into the bottom of the canister, while the output is at the top. Based on pics on Google, it seems like the 2028 has both input and output at the top--so I would worry about bypass happening there, too.

Hope you find a filter you like. : )