Canister Filter for a 56 Gallon

maniac

Hi There,

I'm looking to buy a canister filter for a 56 gallon that I'm going to start up here hopefully this month. :smokey:

I'm looking for feedback as to what canister filters people are running and what size I should get for my tank. For the immediate this will be the primary source of filtration for the tank.

Currently, I'm looking at the Eheim 2215 or Ecco 2236, Fluval 305, or Rena XP2. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Currently, I'm looking at the Eheim 2215 or Ecco 2236, Fluval 305, or Rena XP2. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Not familiar with the others, I do have a Fluval 405 in my 75G. The media is large enough to keep the N's @ 0ppm. The abundant plant population IS contributing though. That being said, I did add a hefty powerhead to keep ciculation up throughout the entire tank.

Your signiture mentions chiclids, so I do not know how helpful this info is for you. A bare tank full of over-eaters may have ample circulation with inadequate bio-media capacitance - no personal experience here.

If you are going to cough up some money - make sure its a big cough. Over size is the way to go.

There is a school of thought that would place media capacity over Gallons per Hour.

If I had the need, and I could find a Fluval 405 for around $180 I would buy one again.

I picked up a used 2215 and have that in my 55 gallon along with 2 AC110. I wouldn't have the 2215 alone. It's great at biological filtration but the mechanical just isn't there. Not near enough flow. You could always add a powerhead, but like everyone says, having 2 filters is a much better idea. That way if one breaks you still have one going. It is easy to add one later though if you start with young fish and as they grow just pick another up.

And if it is cichlids they generally require alot of filtration.

Sorry I am debating between going with a community tank with a lot of activity and larger cichlids, so I want a filter that could handle both. Should I look at getting a larger filter? What level of flow rate should I aim for?

" For the circulatory system to be effective, the respiratory system must also be working so that the blood can pick up oxygen in the lungs" © 2001 Canadian Red Cross

What does this have to do with anything?

You can blow as much water around the aquarium as you want - it will not increase biological filtration

You can try this @ home. Hold your breath and start running as fast as you can. When you regain consciousness regard your distance from your starting point. How far did you make it? I am sure your heart was pumping really fast, , , Didn't help though did it? Without the assistance of your lungs your brain/body was unable to provide itself with the essentials for sustaining life - you crashed.:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:- moving water will help distribute nutrients to plants and corals, but it does not increase biological filtration.

That was so much fun. Once your colour returns you can try this @ home as well. In fact, call some of your family in; there is no reason that they shouldn't enjoy this too. Start breathing in and out as fast as you can., , ,

same result. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

The atmosphere was passing over your lungs so quickly your respiratory system did not have time to glean the necessary oxygen before exhaling. The faster you breathe the less oxygen you get- does not seem fair does it? The correlation to your aquarium here requires a little more imagination. Aerobic bacteria strips oxygen from the water to survive. If it happens to go by to quickly the water would still be oxygen rich, this would not be conducive to culturing anaerobic bacteria which requires oxygen poor water to propagate.

--This may be a quality over quantity scenario, the bacteria need time to perform their task. To much flow does not increase biological filtration.

Still does not change my original suggestion. Buy a quality unit with ample appropriate media that is rated larger then intended use . Maintain it as required. You can't go wrong.

...was there another post here about the "Red Cross" or am I missing something...

Edited by cale262

I'd say go with an Rena XP3, Fluval 40X or similar size. Throw on an AC or other HOB if you're concerned.