Frozen heaters.

balikiss

Well I recently acquired a 20 gal tank, a couple HOB filters, and a couple of heaters. The only thing is that they were sitting in a garage for a couple years probably. Its minus 20 or so around here now, and the filters work awesome, but I'm worried that the freezing may have effected the heaters some how. Will freezing a heater damage it?? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all.

I don't think it would hurt it. When they ship these thing they are not in heated container. I would just make sure that it is at least room temperature before plugging it in. If it is a submersible put it in some water for a day or two to see if the seal is ok (not plugged in)

My water change stuff for my saltwater is stored in the unheated garage. It is brought in thawed out once a week used then put back out in the cold. It hasn't hurt the heater in the last two winters. I bring it in let it warm up for a while, fill the bucket with water and plug it in, no problems.