SB Tex Male

Bluecan

he's about 4 inches now went through a big growth spurt in october and nov but its stalled a bit now as he is in smaller accomodation until the end of the month ... the female i have is even more stumpy and short...

Regardless if it came from another species or not, it is a defect yes, it may have come from a tex or possible parrot parent im not certain.

I dont know, most likely female , females usually have black blotch on their dorsal fin, but not 100% of the time, exceptions do crop up such as yours that passed away... he had a black blotch on the dorsal. AS for growth You have a supply of live food, hopefully the water is warm enough , i give shrimp and you could get get some NLS growth, overall depends on the fish and the conditions my OTHER SB tex is a pickier eater too which doesnt help her but shes growing steadily

Edited by Bluecan

in the middle of moving, havent seen him all week, came home and noticed he is developing a bump on his head...Flowerhorn ppl call it "kok" its still little but i didnt really expect him to get one at all, hope it gets big!!

I am not a fan, I will have to say. It looks like you bred a parrot with a texas and got some type of texas hybrid... :bang1:

filthy hybrids -roll-

in the middle of moving, havent seen him all week, came home and noticed he is developing a bump on his head...Flowerhorn ppl call it "kok" its still little but i didnt really expect him to get one at all, hope it gets big!!

I am not a fan, I will have to say. It looks like you bred a parrot with a texas and got some type of texas hybrid... :bang1:

filthy hybrids -roll-

Hybrid or not, it is a great looking fish, I don't care what others say/think. :thumbs:

he may be one who knows, but if you are talking about his head shape now appearing as though it has a notch in it like many parrots, that is not the case at all, its the male head bump comming out. He looks like a tex in every way except the short body of course.

Its fine that he's not into hybrids , lots of people arent .. I love them, especially short body's .. ..everyone has the right to their own opinion , ..... i myself have no interest in oscars and find them to be borring and far too common, but that wont stop REDO from keeping and loving them, thanks for the compliment though.