Snail Jello

robin

Hi, I bought some apple snails a couple of weeks ago, and with them came some home made snello and i also got a recipe. The snails love the jello, but it really clouds up the tank, bad. Are there any recipe's that dont make a real mess of the water? Any and all snail food suggestions and recipies welcome please. I'd like as many options as possible.

the recipe i have is tums, fish food, gleatin and baby food crushed and mixed together and frozen....any thoughts on this?

thnx in advance, robin

Edited by robin

Try it with out the Tums, which brings up the question: Why does it use Tums?

Try it with out the Tums, which brings up the question: Why does it use Tums?

The Tums are used for the calcium / Apple snails need it for their shells otherwise they pit up quicky... Usually not a problem in our liquid rock here in Edmonton however in other citys a supplement is absolutly needed.

I have to suppliment the calcium in my snail tank - I think with the number of snails in there, the Ca in the water isnt' nearly enough. I have a box full of shells that I've collected over the years, and just tossed a whole bunch in there. Now, it's the empty shells that are corroding, not the snails.

Robin, the clouding won't affect your fish or anything, its just not that pretty to look at, lol. toss some extra floss into the filters the day after you feed snello and it should clear things up. it's the calcium (tums) that is causing the clouding and sometimes what i do to keep the shells healthy is just toss a few tums straight into the tank and hoo boy, you wanna see cloudy water....... hahahaha! sometimes the snails will eat the tums straight and that is the best for maximum calcium intake, but the foot/soft parts will absorb it too, to a certain degree.

to heck with the esthetics of the tank i say, lol, i'd rather have happy finkids and shellkids.

another thing you can do is put a couple of plain cuttlebones (yes, the kind you would put in a birdcage!) in the tank. they might float but will sink eventually. or you could weigh them down with rock or something. i've never used cuttlebones personally but have read on many different forums that it is a good calcium source (if the snails actually nibble on it).

thanks guys, if the clouding does not change the water quality, then good ol snello it is. maybe i will try other calcium sources as well. by the way, bettafishmommy, these guys are awesome, all doing super, and we just love'em. thanks again!!