Iron in dry form

darkangel

Yeah.... to be honest, I used the TMG for years b/c it's so easy and convenient. I had to switch to dry when I was running the 135 on EI method b/c it got pretty expensive. But, I'd say for a 90 or less, TMG (or whatever brand you prefer) is the way to go, IMO.

If you have an iron test kit, I usually aimed for around .1ppm iron.

I do have a Iron test kit and do tests once a week. Last 3 tests I had no readdings at all.

A 10% Fe product needs 0.001 grams per litre to acheive 0.1 ppm

Would be nearly 1/4 gram per 75 gallons

It's a 72 gal and 1/4 gram is about what I was going to try later today after the water change.

Edited by darkangel

Last 3 tests I had no readdings at all.

I have heard Fe disappears quickly.

How did it go? :well:

Disolved a 1/4 gram and added twice, once on sunday and once today. No readings yet, but will test again each day and continue adding until I get a reading. If I have no readings in the next week I'll go back to the system I was using before.

No readings yet

Is it possible that this is a good thing?

I have read that many feel iron tests are inaccurate. I have seen this explained - that because they are integrated? so quickly you may be too late to see it show up on a test.

When I reach the outer limits of my understanding of the process I know that +'s and -'s are exchanged and arranged to produce a harmonious or stable state.

To conform to the basic premise of the Jeopardy! format and make long gibberish short . . . is the substrate/system ready, willing, and unstable so as to accept this Fe and therefore make it undetechtable in store-bought tests ?

Two questions for the price of one

By the same ( & possibly incorrect ) premise- if it shows on the test have you reached (ample) saturation?

• 4 years later...

Chelated iron is available at most local garden centres, not the box stores. It is called chelated iron from plant prod. A 350 gram container should go for $20 or less. 1/4 teaspoon twice a week seems to do the trick for my 65gal jungle. Instead of relying solely on the tests look at the plants, they will tell you what they need defficiency symptoms are interveinal chlorosis on newer leaves and toxicity shows up in new leaves as well in the form of pale and shriveled growth. Be careful though because many deficiency and toxicity symptoms are similar especially in micro nutrients.