Tech nerds unite! Info please!

Beza

Hi guys, great site.

I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas as far as computerized monitoring and maintenance equipment goes for saltwater aquariums... is there even such a thing out there? Where would I get something like that in Edmonton, or even in Alberta?

Even some info on where to start looking would be nice... I have an older laptop that I think I would like to resurrect as the beginnings of a marine aquarium system! It's a dual core 1.5, and how sweet would that be to have something that would operate as a system database, controller, monitor, even alarm?

Am I just dreaming with this, or are there people out there who know what I'm talking about? If my dad can build a model railroad system for a client that controls microswitches and provides feedback for the train nerd, then sure as heck it should be possible with the right tools to create something even more impressive for a FOWLR setup. Right?

If software is hard to find, it's not a big worry - I have access to a group of dedicated programmers, but what type of hardware is there out there that could be used in an application like this? I would imagine I'm looking for things like timed lighting, valves that could be electronically controlled, manifolds... but I digress.

i bought a great aquarium management program a year or so ago and quickly realized that the program requires time that i dont have

its a great product that i found to be quite usefull

http://www.aquariogest.net/

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi guys, great site.

I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas as far as computerized monitoring and maintenance equipment goes for saltwater aquariums... is there even such a thing out there? Where would I get something like that in Edmonton, or even in Alberta?

Even some info on where to start looking would be nice... I have an older laptop that I think I would like to resurrect as the beginnings of a marine aquarium system! It's a dual core 1.5, and how sweet would that be to have something that would operate as a system database, controller, monitor, even alarm?

Am I just dreaming with this, or are there people out there who know what I'm talking about? If my dad can build a model railroad system for a client that controls microswitches and provides feedback for the train nerd, then sure as heck it should be possible with the right tools to create something even more impressive for a FOWLR setup. Right?

If software is hard to find, it's not a big worry - I have access to a group of dedicated programmers, but what type of hardware is there out there that could be used in an application like this? I would imagine I'm looking for things like timed lighting, valves that could be electronically controlled, manifolds... but I digress.

If you visit Canreef there is a guy that hoked up his entire saltwater setup to a high end touch screen computer and it automatically monitored everything for him. I believe he may have had some setting on it to do some things automatically for him!

You should check it out!

ww.canreef.com

I saw a New Fluval G (something) canister filter last weekend that records all that info...it looked way cool!

Oh yeah, I've seen that thing too! It was sweet, until I looked at the price tag... lol. Sigh.

Still, I liked it, mostly because it was so shiny.

I saw a New Fluval G (something) canister filter last weekend that records all that info...it looked way cool!

Oh yeah, I've seen that thing too! It was sweet, until I looked at the price tag... lol. Sigh.

Still, I liked it, mostly because it was so shiny.

LMAO...that's what I thought too! I like Shiny!! LOL