Malawi peacock fan back in the hobby!

GREGMAN

Hello Merry Christmas: I am back in the hobby after many years. I`ve really fallen for Malawi Peacocks. I started with 1 tank a year ago and now have 5 show tanks of male Malawi. It has been a bit of an obsession. I started off joining a couple local Edmonton clubs as I thought maybe I could meet some people with similar interests. I was dissapointed as I paid my fees to to clubs that offered nothing and had a really snobby know it all attitude. That`s fine keep the fees my mistake. As we all are here for the same reason should it not be interesting and fun to see what everyone has going on? I`m thrilled when someone sends me a picture of on of thier prise fish! Congrats, it`s a beauty! When my Peacocks have fry, they are not for sale. I would rather share them with those of you that can appreciate a beautiful Malawi Peacock. What the heck am I going to do with a brood of 60?? I am not opposed to buying a nice adult fish or trading with someone. In fact I would rather add to my collection buying fish from you guys that have raised them and kept thier tanks clean ect..as opposed to a fish store where you can see tanks full of fish with ick. And having the manager say, well don`t you have a hospital tank?? Like I`m going to buy a sick fish?? (it happened). I am looking to find a few peacocks many males and a few Aulonocara blood red rubecens african cichlid peacock FEMALES. I hope someone can help me. I look forward to leaning on this sight for a little advise, some good tips and support questions, as I am an amature. I love my fish, but have lots to learn. I wish you all a great Christmas and really look forward to talking Malawi Peacocks with you experienced people.

All the best! Greg for St.Albert 780-909-2884

I have tried to insert a picture of my Blood Red Ruby Rubecens. Need females for these guys! Then I can share the fry with all of you!

Greg,

I would just like to nominate your post as the best "Say Hello" response EVER. You got the right attitude about the hobby and the site. The great thing is that you will not be let down. I've been part of the site for just under a year now, and this is my main source for both knowledge and great fish.

I gotta say, that is one beauuuutiful peacock. If you ever come to calgary, Harold (fairdeal) is the man you want to see. I think the two of you would get along very nicely.

Welcome to the site and all the best.

HELLO and WELCOME to our home. I am one {or possably only} old gal in the group .... I am a total newbie to the wonderfull world of fish, I think this is the greatest group of people that are willing to share their knowledge and idea's with all. I am so pleased I found this site. I am sure you will fall right into place into this "Fish Family". :welcome:

Greg,

I would just like to nominate your post as the best "Say Hello" response EVER. You got the right attitude about the hobby and the site. The great thing is that you will not be let down. I've been part of the site for just under a year now, and this is my main source for both knowledge and great fish.

I gotta say, that is one beauuuutiful peacock. If you ever come to calgary, Harold (fairdeal) is the man you want to see. I think the two of you would get along very nicely.

Welcome to the site and all the best.

Thanks, that`s really kind. I have to ask the fish you have displayed in your photo..what is it? Wow!

Welcome Greg,

I agree with you about some of those "Fish Clubs". Majority of the members here are willing to help out, I have met some incredibility nice people on AA, that are more than willing to share their knowledge and actually show a interest as to what a newbie like me would have to say. SO WELCOME....

By the way very nice peacock!!

Welcome Greg,

I agree with you about some of those "Fish Clubs". Majority of the members here are willing to help out, I have met some incredibility nice people on AA, that are more than willing to share their knowledge and actually show a interest as to what a newbie like me would have to say. SO WELCOME....

By the way very nice peacock!!

Thanks you guys have been great in making me feel welcome!! Greg

Greg, first off welcome and gorgeous fish!!! I would like to introduce some food for thought here though. I, too had a similiar experience with the local fish club at first. However, my mom(that's right) told me to go back as she thinks I know what I'm doing(I sure don't). Yes, it took some time but now I have friends that I met through clubs and online forums too all across North America. I am constantly amazed by how much these people will do for me. So please don't let one "know it all" ruin it for you. I would love to meet you at a meeting or auction and hear all about your beautiful fish!!

Edited by fishclubgirl

Hello Greg. I too love Lake Malawi fish. I have a school of Demasoni right now that I have just acquired that I am trying to keep happy and healthy. When I achieve a nice balance....(some have died on me and I don't know why) then I would love one or two peacocks to throw some color combo's into the tank. I still have to ask many questions and research what I can put in with these guys successfully.

Welcome.

Thanks, that`s really kind. I have to ask the fish you have displayed in your photo..what is it? Wow!

Thank you right back. It sure is a pretty fish. It's called a Haplochromis obliquidens, a cichlid from lake victoria in africa. You should google lake victorian cichlids because there are tons of beauties from that lake.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Greg. I too love Lake Malawi fish. I have a school of Demasoni right now that I have just acquired that I am trying to keep happy and healthy. When I achieve a nice balance....(some have died on me and I don't know why) then I would love one or two peacocks to throw some color combo's into the tank. I still have to ask many questions and research what I can put in with these guys successfully.

Welcome.

Be very careful in having demasoni and Peacocks! I find they don`t mix at all!!! The Demasoni are very aggressive and don`t make good play mates for Peacocks.

Welcome.

Be very careful in having demasoni and Peacocks! I find they don`t mix at all!!! The Demasoni are very aggressive and don`t make good play mates for Peacocks.

if u like demasoni, try maingano, they are just as beautiful and very peaceful