29 gallon stocking ideas!

strayner

Hi folks. I'm putting together my first 'real' aquarium soon, and I have been researching possible tank-mates.

Tank will be 29 gallons, with a tetra whisper ex30 (160gph, unless I decide to get a better filter).

I plan on using pool filter sand as the substrate, and having low maintenance plants to fill up atleast 25% of the tank.

Here are some of my ideas that i've put together using aqadvisor as a rough guide. Tell me what you think of them in terms of compatibility and bioload, and any fish suggestions you might have!

P.S - I pretty much must have corys so consider that :P

Thanks in advance.

Idea 1

5x bronze cory

6x cherry barb

1x dwarf gourami

3x cherry shrimp (not sure if the shrimp will get gobbled up in any of these selections up before plants have a chance to grow thickly enough)

Idea 2

5x bronze cory

5x zebra danio

1x kribensis

3x ghost shrimp

Idea 3

4x bronze cory

8x neon tetra

1x sailfin molly

2x red cherry shrimp

Idea 4

4x bronze cory

6x tiger barb

1x kribensis

Idea 1

5x bronze cory

6x cherry barb

1x dwarf gourami

3x cherry shrimp (not sure if the shrimp will get gobbled up in any of these selections up before plants have a chance to grow thickly enough)

^^^^ This is by far (in my opinion) the best set up for sure. Your Cherry's should be fine until the barbs get full size. Then they might get curious. But as long as they are raised together they should be just fine. In most cases stocking with community and semi aggressive fish is trial and error. Some fish will be great and some are bad apples. Same goes for just about all fish. I have a few things that should never be with eachother, but do great! I have also lost a few fish experimenting....

I also think that maybe you should take a look at the Julii Corydoras! They are awesome looking. I find the bronze ones pretty plain.

** EDIT - I think the cherry barbs should be replaced by tiger barbs... they're cooler lookin

Edited by FishyFishy!

Thanks for the reply. I also think tiger barbs are way cooler but the cherry barbs apparently have a lower bioload and stocking 6 tiger barbs in place of 6 cherry barbs might be pushing it? Especially considering the filter I might be using.

I think your idea 1 is excellent. Cherry barbs are great fish; go with two males and four females... the males will spar a lot and are very entertaining. You may want to consider going with pandas,julis/tri's as your cory, bronze cories are highly variable in colouration - they can be really drab. You could easily add a half dozen zebra danios and as a bonus they would be great to cycle with, not that cherry barbs wouldn't be fine. Don't scrimp on plants - anubias, microsorium, crypts, java moss (cherry shrimp will go nuts breeding in a good sized chunk) and grab some hygrophilia polysperma to manage excess nutrients - prune as needed, it grows like stink.

If I had to set up a 29 right now.

8 cardinals or glowlights

6 - 8 Endlers

6 pandas

pair of apistogramma cacatuoides (should spawn for you and put you on the road to numerous tank expansions)

or pair of blue rams

have fun and make sure to report back

Dean

When checking for compatability, be sure to also see which fish are going to be happy and healthy together. I know for a fact that bronze cories like lower temperature. Mine were happy and bred constantly at 72-74F. Most others you suggested, with the exception of zebra danios, like it at least a few degrees warmer. I would also suggest guppies. some of the fancier ones are very nice to look at and they are fairly easy fish to please.

Alot of Apistos, rams, etc, like a well established tank and around 80F and rams are quite content with 82-84F. The same can be said for cardinals.

I would go with the following in a 29G

6 Bronze Cories (go with 4 females and 2 males)

5 Zebra Danios (Purple Passion Danios are very nice too) OR 5 Tiger Barbs

10 or so cherry shrimp

Hopes this helps

Tammy

I agree that apistos and rams should be added to an established tank; after a couple of months is fine... they are a show piece, my favourite fishes by far. If you go this way try to go with tank bred fish, wild caughts are known to be touchy and often full of parasites. Cacatuoides are often bred and can be found on occasion. I picked up some awesome locally raised rams (the best rams I’ve seen) from nature’s corner a few years ago, so if you’re interested I’d give them a call. The water temp for these guys and cardinals is acceptable at 78, rams do require temps greater than 80 for breeding, but from experience I find they seem to do just fine at a little cooler temp. Bronze cories are also fine at this temp. 78 is a great temp for being able to maintain a wide variety of tropicals. Just check the specifics on whichever fish you decide to go with.

I’m curious, is there a pinned reference for beginner’s to set up a planted community tank? I couldn’t find one. If not, I wouldn’t mind taking a stab at it, with input from whoever would like to help out... I’m currently housebound... an ugly situation for me.

I think your idea 1 is excellent. Cherry barbs are great fish; go with two males and four females... the males will spar a lot and are very entertaining. You may want to consider going with pandas,julis/tri's as your cory, bronze cories are highly variable in colouration - they can be really drab. You could easily add a half dozen zebra danios and as a bonus they would be great to cycle with, not that cherry barbs wouldn't be fine. Don't scrimp on plants - anubias, microsorium, crypts, java moss (cherry shrimp will go nuts breeding in a good sized chunk) and grab some hygrophilia polysperma to manage excess nutrients - prune as needed, it grows like stink.

If I had to set up a 29 right now.

8 cardinals or glowlights

6 - 8 Endlers

6 pandas

pair of apistogramma cacatuoides (should spawn for you and put you on the road to numerous tank expansions)

or pair of blue rams

have fun and make sure to report back

Dean

I mainly chose bronze corys for their reputation as hardy fish... but maybe i'll go with some of the different varieties because I'm willing to put the effort into caring for them. Will definitely be getting some of those plants as well. :)

Do rams be need to kept as a pair to be happy? or would say a solitary male suffice? I like the look of these fish but was again wary of hardiness.

I'd choose a pair for sure, easy to tell apart - females have a prominent pink belly, heavier bodied (fat belly) and are usually a bit smaller, but you'll often see tanks of males only (nature's corner staff or Michael at big al's can show you how to pick a pair). If you go with the combo I suggested make sure to add fish fairly slowly, cycle with endler's or glowlights. Bronze cories are very hardy and can live for a maximum of at least ten years... if your not in love with 'em you're going to have to look at them for a long, long time. If you go with Panda's, they should breed for you and are easy to raise in regular tapwater (for sure in Calgary, I'd expect similar results in Edmonton).

Let us know what you decide on.

Dean