Nano Tank for new babys room.

Erin

Okay I'm due July 10, and I want to take one of my unused 10 gallon tanks and make a nano salt water tank for the babys room.

I don't plan on having any fish, but any fish suggestion are welcome.

I plan on getting some live rock and sand.

some colorul coral suggestions are welcome.

I was thinking of just having some shrimp and snails in the tank.

But now going to the hard stuff...

What will I need for my set up.

Filter suggestions

powerhead

will I need a protien skimmer for a nano?

Lighting suggestions.

I think thats it for those right? or am I missing something.

I will be building a stand for it so my older kids can't reach into it.

Well I'm off to do more reading. Thanks for the help :D

Here is what I am thinking for stocking it

I was thinking two or three Lysmata amboinensis.

Opinions?

What about mollies are my cycle fish? I've read that they can be used but how well do they like it?

Edited by Erin

In my kids 19 gal there is about 10 lbs of rock, lighting is a 24" T5HO, filtration is an aquaclear 110 with filter floss and LR rubble in it. There is a ball of macro algae in the main tank. I had a small skimmer in it too but it wasn't worth the hassle and it's been removed.

Stocked with zoa's and shrooms, a couple of hermits, a few snails, one maroon clown(who is going to need a new home soon)

The tank is 20" deep so the light isn't quite enough, been toying with going MH or LED. So far a DIY LED setup is winning out. There are no other powerheads in the tank the AC moves about 500 gal/hour and that seems to be working out well in this tank.

This setup began life in a 5 gal, little mermaid tank so it should work out for a 10 gal.

The shrimp will be fine, they are one of the most commented on critters in my other display tanks.

Good Luck

Edited by bosshog

Thanks bosshog,

could I get away with 1 hermit crab? I'm still looking up on the whole molly thing, but so far as long as I introduce them slowly they will be ok.

So far it looks like I'll be stocking

2 or 3 Lysmata amboinensis

Pair of mollies

Maybe one hermit crab

I might test the mollies out in a 2.5 gallon test tank. That way I wont go threw to much money and see if I can handle it.

Okay I'm due July 10, and I want to take one of my unused 10 gallon tanks and make a nano salt water tank for the babys room.

I don't plan on having any fish, but any fish suggestion are welcome.

I plan on getting some live rock and sand.

some colorul coral suggestions are welcome.

I was thinking of just having some shrimp and snails in the tank.

But now going to the hard stuff...

What will I need for my set up.

Filter suggestions

powerhead

will I need a protien skimmer for a nano?

Lighting suggestions.

I think thats it for those right? or am I missing something.

I will be building a stand for it so my older kids can't reach into it.

Well I'm off to do more reading. Thanks for the help :D

The live rock will be your biological filtration. You can use an HoB for your mechanical if you wish. If you want to have corals, you should have a powerhead. A lot of corals like some water movement. You shouldn't need a protein skimmer for that small a tank, just keep on water changes. Compact Flourescent lighting will do fine for that, most soft corals can grow well with CF lighting, ie mushrooms, zoas, etc.

You probably don't need to use fish to cycle as the process of curing the live rock will do your cycling for you. This will take about a month, so you have to be patient. Once you are cycled, then you can add your clean-up crew (snails, hermit crabs). As for stock, mushroom corals, zoanthids are good for nanos, for fish, small gobies are nice, Blue World Aquatic on the southside has some nice fish for nano tanks. Ken and Shannon know their stuff if you stop by there.