Clown Loach breeding behavior?

skynoch

I've got 3 clown loaches around 8-10" and recently they all have started chasing each other around in a tight ball formation. I haven't had clown loaches long enough to know if this is regular behavior, courting or fighting. Can someone let me know what is happening here?

2 loaches twisting near the top? Has it been a while since a water change? Maybe some higher nitrates or other dead plant matter? Some believe their mating may be triggered by bad water conditions since they mate in the wild when new areas flood.

Paul - I believe that 'story' later turned out to be bogus.

Short of being induced with hormones, there have been no successful spawns in captivity recorded.

Scott, when they are fighting you'll know it. They can get pretty pissy at times, and one if not all of those fighting will usually grey out. (their black bands will fade) At this stage of the game they may still be establishing a hierarchy within the group.

HTH

Thanks for the replys guys. Won't get worried about moving anything out of thier tank then.

The black bands seem normal in color but the red on them is extremely bright.

Like you said Neil the hierarchy thing makes the most sense to me, just happy I don't have to seperate them or anything.