Amazon swords

Crystal

I have some plant experience, but could probably still be considered a newbie to the plant field. I have grown various mosses, stems, and such, but never anything like a big swordplant (and the web isn't offering much insight).

I am considering buying an amazon sword from an AA member, but I want to make sure I can properly care for it first. I would be putting it in a 90g tank with a 6 bulb fixture; overkill I know, but only 4 are on during the day, as I only use 2 for dusk/dawn because I like the effect. No Co2. I have liquid ferts and root tabs if needed.

From what I understand this specific plant currently was a width of 12", the leaves are about 8" long (without the stalks) and 4" broad. Its roots are almost a foot long.

Questions:

How deep does the substrate need to be for this young giant? I only have 2-3" of sand, would it be better to pot it? I have 8" wide pots (meant for waterlilies).

I have a pair of Bristlenose plecos, they currently don't touch any of my current plants, but I have never tried swords before (they are well fed on zucchini).

Also plan to add a pair of L333's (neither species should get over 8"). Will the swordplants be ok as the plecos forage for algae?

Any extra info on this lovely plants is very welcome.

you might want a deeper substrate for that extensive a root system. i have a large amazon sword in my 55 gallon and i tend to pile the gravel/sand mix around the base and make it deeper for the sword's roots.

as for the plecos and the sword, you might find small holes in the leaves on occasion from the plecos rasping on the leaves to get all the 'goodies' off, but it shouldn't affect the plant too much.

be sure to remove old 'tired' leaves so that the plant can keep new leaves sprouting up. i find that when i don't pinch off the tired leaves often enough my sword doesn't like to make any new growth.

If you're going to move into more heavy root feeders (swords & Crypts) you'll want to consider going w. a 3-6" substrate. A pot would be great for the sword - you could stick fertilizer spikes directly for the plant and not have to worry about any leaching into the tank if you move it.

I've got a reddish swordplant in my 55 gal. right now, with about 3" of plain sand substrate, and its doing great. I push in a Seachem root tab every 4 months or so (whenever I remember). Every two weeks I'm pulling 3-4 old leaves off of it so the new ones will grow (and so the old leaves won't take over my tank), and always leave at least 6 leaves on the plant. Also, by 5" albino BN doesn't do any noticeable damage to the leaves when it decides to munch on it.