Looking at getting some bottom dwellers for my tank

d0hb0y

Sorry for the long post, but i have some questions that I hope some of the more experienced people on this forum could clear up! :thumbs:

I'm considering getting some bottom dwellers for my 38 gallon and 10 gallon tank. Here is what i have in the tanks so far

38 Gallon - 6 Cherry barbs, 6 Zebra Danios and future home for Angelfish, Gravel substrate (Rocks are a little bigger then green peas)

10 Gallon - Empty, black sand substrate, Haven't decided which fish to put in there but wife is really leaning towards Tequila Sunrise Guppies after seeing them at PJs Pets yesterday.

I was thinking of getting a mix breed (3 pandas 3 Albinos, etc) of 6 Corys for my 38G or 4 Corys for my 10G. I want to also get a snail for each tank and maybe some shrimp. I've been doing some research and i've been getting some conflicting opinions which is making it a bit more confusing! :huh: So hopefully you guys can help clarify somethings.

Corydoras - I read online that my substrate in my 38G is too big and will damage their tentacles and scrape their underbellies. I talked to some people at the LFS and I get the same opinions but some say that my substrate will be ok for them. If the substrate in my 38G is too big, I was thinking of putting 4 panda corys into my 10G tank. So it's kind of an either or thing, not both unfortunately. Will the substrate in my 38 Gallon hurt the Corydoras and should I put them in the 10 gallon?

Snails - Is one per tank going to be enough, i'm still looking at the different types of snails but i'd prefer not to wake up one morning and find 20 of them hatched overnight.

Shrimps - Never had them before and would like to give them a try. I heard they can help clean the bottom of the tanks really well. Plus i read they are fun to look at. I was thinking maybe a few in one tank or the other.

Are these 3 "bottom dwellers" going to be compatible with each other?

Will they be compatible with their current and future tank inhabitants (Angelfish and (possibly) Guppies)?

Will this amount of fish be too much for either tank?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

There are other members who will tell you better about the cory's and what not...as I have only kept a few.

What kind of snails are you looking at getting? Apple snails? If that's what you're going to get, you don't have to worry about them multiplying...they need male and female to reproduce.

As for shrimp...they require a really well established tank. Lots of plants for cover from predators (our beloved fishy friends). Any shrimp small enough to fit in a fish's mouth will become lunch!

There are other members who will tell you better about the cory's and what not...as I have only kept a few.

What kind of snails are you looking at getting? Apple snails? If that's what you're going to get, you don't have to worry about them multiplying...they need male and female to reproduce.

As for shrimp...they require a really well established tank. Lots of plants for cover from predators (our beloved fishy friends). Any shrimp small enough to fit in a fish's mouth will become lunch!

I have a nice ten with 2 species of dwarf cories (hastatus and pygmaeus). They school nicely together and I understand they will not cross-breed (but never having breed for me, I don't have first hand experience), cherry and green shrimp, endlers, and 4 galaxy rasboras. All the fish, fully grown, are less than 1 inch. The tank is loaded with java moss and a few small crypts. I also have a few red ramshorn snails and a bit of a problem with common pond snails,so much that we now have a trio of assasin snails as well. The tank is overfiltered with frequent water changes. The cories, shrimp and snails all seem to get along fine.

Theresa

Thanks for the replies so far!

What kind of snails are you looking at getting? Apple snails? If that's what you're going to get, you don't have to worry about them multiplying...they need male and female to reproduce

I've been doing some research and i will probably get a apple snail for each tank, for appearance and helping with maintaining the tank.

Theresa: Thanks for the info, i'll look further into the dwarf corys.

I'm still curious about the Corys and the gravel substrate I have in my bigger tank. I'm still getting a lot of mixed opinions and would to know if some aquarists have had some similar experiences they would like to share.

Not sure its really the size of gravel that is supposed to be the problem for corys. I had read that gravel with sharp edges such as fluorite could possibly erode their barbels and cause future health problems for them especially if the substrate becomes increasingly dirty from not doing gravel vacs. I decided to give it a try and have 8 panda corys in with a fluorite substrate which has not caused them any problems at all. They are plump and healthy little suckers and constantly are snuffling through the gravel. I have not noticed any sort of erosion of their barbels.

Sharp or very rough gravel can possibly erode corydora barbels, as they dig in the gravel. You don't want to use say something like copper slag-someone was thinking of using it for substrate in another post. Aquarium gravel sold in pet stores is usually fine for corydoras thou some is fairly rough. Sharp edged gravel should be avoided. All my corydora tanks have the rounded natural colored river gravel-bought it at Walmart. It works well and I like the natural look. Too much mulm in the gravel can cause problems for corydoras as they dig through it. How rough is your pea sized gravel? Size of gravel is not really a concern it is roughness and sharpness that is the concern. As to the number of corydoras in your tank the numbers are fine. I have 11 corydoras in my 29 gallon(6 julis, and 5 weitzmani) and they are breeding which makes me very happy. I also have 10 corys in my 20 gallon long(5 peppered corys and 5 bronze corys) they lay eggs just about every 3 weeks. I also have an unknown number of bronze corydoras in my other 20 gallon as they lay eggs so often I am unsure if any hatched and survived--lots of java moss in that tank-sort of wild. Some would say that my tanks were overstocked with corydoras but the cories seem to like groups-3 or more. Thou I did start with only a pair of weitzmani and they then had babies. As to corys and tankmates they are fine with guppies just about all my tanks have guppies in them with the corydoras. I don't know about angels maybe someone else has them together. Hope this helps.

Sharp or very rough gravel can possibly erode corydora barbels, as they dig in the gravel... How rough is your pea sized gravel? Size of gravel is not really a concern it is roughness and sharpness that is the concern.

This is the type of gravel I got from BA in Edmonton for my 38 Gallon tank. 38G Gravel

This is the type of sand I got from BA for my 10 Gallon Tank. 10 Gallon Sand

Would either of these substrates be ok for the panda corys i'm gonna get?

TIA!!! :smokey: