Substrate or no substrate? THAT is the question!

FishyFishy!

Hi!! I'm getting into breeding betta fish. What I would like to know is, should I put substrate in the bottom of the tank? Or leave it bare? I have some really fine red sand, and some regular gravel laying around. Should I use either? Or will it be easier for the male to find the eggs on the regular glass?.

Thanks!

From what I have read, when breeding betta its best to have no substrate so that the parents are able to pick up the eggs easily during the mating. I have bred betta twice now (last one is still in progress from last week) and both times the tank bottom has been bare. Keeping it bare also makes it easier for you to clean up any waste and foods that are not eaten by the fry and in my case makes it easier to spot the fry.

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

Awesome guys thanks!! What size of tank do you recommend? I have a 5 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 33 gallon laying around that I could use. I imagine that the 10 gallon is probably the best bet.

yup for sure... I kinda dont like waiting for them to finish because it took a few hours on both occasions. I have a small dish or cup of fluorite gravel with a bunch of stem plants growing out of it in my breeding tank that I can move around as I please. I usually put it on the opposite end of where my floating styrofoam cup is for the bubble nest and she hides over there pretty easily. Even if she needs to run she is way faster than the males and has enough room in the tank to put space between them. I would imagine the 5 gallon should be good too.

I used 10 gal tanks filled half way with water and lots of floating plants. I removed the female after spawning and as soon as the fry were free swimming I would remove the male. Then each day during water changes I would add about 1/2 gal more of water until the tank was full. 90% daily water changes until about 1/2 inch long, then they grow a lot faster if you can put only one in a 5 or 10 gal tank and keep up the daily water changes, because they release a hormone so they don't out grow there surounding.