Question about Geosystem Wood

d0hb0y

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried doing a search about it but couldn't find anything.

I was just at a LFS and saw some pieces of wood on sale. So I picked one up for 4 bucks, small piece nothing spectacular. It's called Geosystem Wood from Hagen. I brought the wood home and it's soaking in a bucket of hot water and the water in the bucket is turning a real dark brown (The excess tannins i assume). I'm curious if theres anything else I should do with this small piece of wood before added it to my 38G tank.

TIA!

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried doing a search about it but couldn't find anything.

I was just at a LFS and saw some pieces of wood on sale. So I picked one up for 4 bucks, small piece nothing spectacular. It's called Geosystem Wood from Hagen. I brought the wood home and it's soaking in a bucket of hot water and the water in the bucket is turning a real dark brown (The excess tannins i assume). I'm curious if theres anything else I should do with this small piece of wood before added it to my 38G tank.

TIA!

Did you get the Malaysian or Mopani wood?

From the best of my knowledge all that is really needed is a quick scrub and then a soaking if you don't want your tank water to turn tea-colored.

It's a small piece of Malaysian wood

Should be fine. Even if you don't soak it it probably won't affect your water parameters too much (so I hear).

Thanks, i'll soak it in hot water overnight before i add it to my tank tomorrow.

It's a small piece of Malaysian wood

Should be fine. Even if you don't soak it it probably won't affect your water parameters too much (so I hear).

Thanks, i'll soak it in hot water overnight before i add it to my tank tomorrow.

You might need to soak it for a long period to get enough tannins not to color your water though, unless you are okay with that.

i boil my wood if they fit into a pot. 10 min, change water and boil again. if it doesnt stop, add some new charcoal to your filter. and clean the charcoal every few days if needed.

some pieces are worse than others

I had purchased one of them last year probably a foot long. I soaked the thing for 2 month and it still made tea water, it is now sitting in a box in the shed.

i would try boiling it. and use the carbon in the tank. when the water starts to look brown, rinse the carbon out