corydora interbreeding?

Guppygirl

This is just a caution for people who like to have more than one type of corydora in their tanks. I being one of them. They will interbreed-or mine did anyways. I have a colony of c.weitzmani and a colony of c.julli or c.trilineatus bought as julli but they look like the c.tril's. Looking at my tank tonight I have one young corydora that doesn't look like either group but a mix. I was very surprised. :shock: It looks like a tril with the weitmani spots. Very cute, :wub: but how a hybrid egg was laid,hatched and survived to 1"+ in a tank full of hungry adult corydoras and guppies-(lots and lots) of them survived will be one of my great tank mysteries. :unsure: Once it gets a little bigger it can have its own tank-I don't want to have it breed back. When I have time I will attempt to take a pic of it. May have to wait until I catch it to move it. It is very skittish.

You can check the breeding article on planetcatfish I wrote re: the C. weitzmani. Included were some fry development photos by Ian Fuller. Check them out and see if they are familiar. Oh yea, the Corys sold as julii these days are 99.9999% trilineatus.

Edited by syno321