Cardinal tetras

darkangel

Yesterday I actually witnessed a couple cardinals spawning. I noticed them wiggling around in the hair grass and saw the eggs being released & fertilized, however the cories moved in shortly afterwards and I believe they cleaned up pretty good. The question I have is, after the eggs were laid the female swam off to the corner of the tank and died a few hours later. I would like to know if this is normal or just bad luck. The population of the fish is not getting any smaller and I do have cardinals and habrosus cories of varying sizes. All fish were purchased at the same time and have been in this tank for a while. The cories since april and the cardinals were being fish sat by jerry for a bit. Solid answers would be great, but thoughts or opinions will also be accepted.

I don't think dying right after spawning is normal. I've had cardinals spawn for me in the past w/o this happening, and have read several articles on spawning and raising cardinals and don't recall mention of it. Tho, to be fair Cardinal Tetras are annual fish in the wild (that's the real wild, not necessarily the hatcheries they have on riverbanks), and if these guys did come from the real wild, there's a chance that death occurs somewhat regularly after spawning.

Cardinal Tetras are annual fish in the wild (that's the real wild, not necessarily the hatcheries they have on riverbanks), and if these guys did come from the real wild, there's a chance that death occurs somewhat regularly after spawning.

I'm not sure if these came from the real wild, They are the fish that were in with Kyles S/A order back in April.

I'll keep an eye on the tank and see if any more croak after spawning.

Cardinal Tetras are annual fish in the wild (that's the real wild, not necessarily the hatcheries they have on riverbanks), and if these guys did come from the real wild, there's a chance that death occurs somewhat regularly after spawning.

I'm not sure if these came from the real wild, They are the fish that were in with Kyles S/A order back in April.

I'll keep an eye on the tank and see if any more croak after spawning.

You must be doing a whole lot right to get them spawning rolleyes.gif I have read a report from a guy in England that found a ph of 4 with very low hardness to be necessary for a spawn to occur. He was playing with pairs (no luck ) and small groups (worked) but as far as I know no hatching. He also played with temp. and no light, for a period of time, but I don't recall all the details.

John

Edited by geleen

From what I recall, light kills the eggs; so, a thickly planted tank would be great. And, with all of the microbes in there, the fry have a plethora of food to eat as they grow.

From what I recall, light kills the eggs; so, a thickly planted tank would be great. And, with all of the microbes in there, the fry have a plethora of food to eat as they grow.

That would explain why I have seen spawns, but the closest thing I have seen to fry is a few cards that are only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long.

I have only seen 7 in the tank at that size. Maybe next time I see a spawn I'll kill the lights for a few days instead of the eggs.

Thanks guys, you answered most of the questions I had rolling around in my head (yes the rattle is gone).