banned plecos?

Baos

By banned it means banned from export where they're collected (were collected is probably better), which I'm pretty sure is Brazil for all of these. Brazil has taken a very proactive approach with the catch and export of their wild fishes, and as such has banned the export of many of them until they are better able to assess their populations and control their catch and export (they have an agency called IBAMA that is responsible for this). They banned the export of ALL stingrays a few years ago, and prices went from about $300 for a P. leopoldi or henlei to $1500+ due to it. In 2009 they started to allow a 'controlled' export once again of rays, and due to the HUGE increase in demand in Asia, prices have come down roughly half.

I've talked to the suppliers in Brazil, Peru and Columbia and they all say the same thing - substantial fines if they are caught exporting any of these banned fish. I suspect the real deterrent may be loss or suspension of their export licenses if they are caught. Fines they could likely live with but not being able to export would really hurt.

This is one of the reasons that plecos like L046's (zebras) which have been banned since 2005 sell for crazy prices. Yet 2 or 3 months ago I saw lots of "wild caught" L046's for sale on Aquabid??? This either means they are now allowing some zebras to be exported OR there are a lot of scammers all of a sudden on Aquabid again OR everyone is now dumping all their long-in-the-tooth wild caughts they have had since the ban took place.

I just leave it up to the exporters. If they appear on the supply lists then it is alright to order. For example L002 are on the banned lists I have but yet I can get them from a couple of places.