So, I usually have really crappy birthdays...

Shai

Yesterday was my birthday. :3 For the last half decade or so I've always been really sick on my birthday. (Year before last I actually had to be taken to Emergency the day of.) Given this track record, I usually don't get overly excited when February 3 comes around so I don't end up disappointed. : )

This year I wasn't sick and had a really exceptional birthday so I wanted to share!

When I got home from work yesterday, I discovered my sweetheart had gotten out of bed right after I'd left that morning, cleaned the house AND baked me a birthday cake all before he had to leave for work! Seriously, how awesome is that when a man cleans and bakes all by himself?

cake.jpg

That evening he took me to dinner at The Keg (much yum and free dessert) and afterwards presented me with the uber-special edition of the latest Star Trek movie and (at home) gave me a full body massage. :D I was totally spoiled!!

To top it off! The finkids also wanted to give me a surprise or two of their own...

I recently got a group of Ruby Greens to round out the stock in my 55g, but the dominant male took a strong disliking to my GBRs, so I separated them and put the GBRs into a 33g I've had sitting around empty for a while. The GBRs were a bit roughed up; Sheba (dom female) had a nick out of her jaw and she and Cleo (sub female) had split fins. That was a week or so ago, and after daily water changes they're recovering nicely which is great.

In fact, they are so happy now in the 33g that, after I returned from my bday dinner, I found eggs! I've never had eggs from either of these females before.

Despite being smaller and a lot younger, I think they're Cleo's, because she was sassing Sheba something fierce and even got caught flaring her gills!

flare.jpg

Cleo guarding the eggs:

guard.jpg

Sheba seemed really uncertain about the clutch and investigated several times when Cleo wasn't looking:

unsure.jpg

Then something really bizarre happened: with Cleo looking on, Sheba added a few eggs of her own to the group! Guess she didn't want to be left out?

metoo.jpg

Unfortunately, the GBR eggs will not hatch because there is no male in the tank. My male died some time ago after I went away for the weekend and the tank he was in at the time spiked. : ( I haven't been able to find a good healthy male since then.

But wait! There was more! I checked on the 55g and lo, I think one of the Ruby Green females might be holding? I'm not totally sure though. She seems to have that "mouthfull" appearance and didn't have it before, though it's admittedly not very prominent:

holding.jpg

To compare, here's one of the other females who doesn't have the same pouchy appearance under the mouth.

female.jpg

This is the best pic I could get of the dominant male and potential Dad. He wouldn't sit still!

dad.jpg

If the Ruby female is holding, I expect I'll lose the eggs this weekend though. I have to move the 55g tomorrow so I assume she'll either spit or swallow whatever is in her mouth when I start netting the fish to get them out of the tank to tear it down.

But even so, this was all very exciting for me on my birthday!

I'd say the Ruby Green is holding. My Paracyps always look like that they day they begin holding - I'm not sure if they decide to add more eggs later, or if the eggs swell, but they always look like they have a mouthful w/in a couple days.

Happy B-Day! :thumbs:

Edited by jvision

Thanks guys!

Yesterday I moved the 55g. It took seven hours... But thankfully, the female is still holding! She looks like she has a bigger mouthful now than before too, although I've also seen her flashing a bit. : ( None of her tankmates are flashing though, so I'm not sure what to think. I expect there was a bit of die-off in the filters so I'm going to do some extra water changes regardless, but is it possible she's flashing because having a crammed mouth is uncomfortable?

Either way I'm just going to leave her be and see what happens--how long before I know if she has a successful batch of fry? I figure most, if not all, of the fry will end up picked off by the other fish...but maybe some will survive.

A few more pics, of the move:

The "before" shot:

55g01.jpg

Really soupy water, yuck! This was after taking everything out. The sand had a lot of gravel in it so I was straining it out while it was still in the tank.

55g02.jpg

The MTS I saved:

snails.jpg

The gravel I ditched. There's still more in the sand (I doubt I'll ever get it all) but I still pulled out about two gallons worth:

gravel.jpg

The tank after setting it back up:

55g03.jpg

And a few (better) pics of the Dad:

ruby1.jpg

ruby2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I should post some more pics. The female ruby still has her fry and if I watch closely I can see their little eyes pressed up against the inside of her mouth!

My GBRs laid eggs again too. Still no male for them though. : (

Edited by Shai

ACK. I don't know what happened, but she was holding last night, and this afternoon she's definitely not. I suppose if she finally let the fry out, most likely there was a massive feeding frenzy in the tank... Dunno?