Breeding Ramshorn Snails

d0hb0y

That's what I'm hoping. It is almost that way with the mts. I come out after lights out and they are everywhere. It's great.

On another note. What should the GH and KH be for snails? I tested a bunch of water tonight. It's in the shrimp breeders thread and I'm wondering what can be improved.

SNELLO RECIPE

ingredients:

one and a half packets knox gelatin

one regular size jar baby food (butternut squash is my shellkids' favourite)

about 10 to 12 tums (the fruity flavour ones seem to be preferred)

your choice of dry fish food (i crush up nls, yeah, spoiled shellkids, lol), use as much or as little as you want. i put the same amount fish food as the crushed tums, but my cories and barbs eat the snello too.

directions:

first crush up the tums into a fine powder, set aside

crush up fish food, set aside

heat baby food in a bowl in microwave for about 1 minute on high

stir in gelatin, making sure to mix well and get all the clumps out

stir in tums and fish food

spoon into ice cube tray, making each about 3/4 full

put in fridge until set

scoop cubes out of tray

freeze cubes in ziploc

when you are ready to feed just plop a frozen cube into the tank. i only have a few adult apple snails right now so i only feed one cube once or twice a week.

i find using just one packet of knox doesn't give me the firmness i want in the cubes. my barbs love to go cruising around and attacking the snello once it's sitting on the gravel and using only one packet i find the water current and their fins makes for a mess of itty bitty snello chunks flying around.

two full packets of knox is just wasting the knox, IMO, since 1.5 is enough.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Thanks a lot for all the great info so far. I went to Pet$mart the last week and they gave me 2 more ramshorn snails and 3 pond snails for FREE!!!.

I'm going to have to give that snello recipe a try, sounds interesting! I've also found some other "snail food" recipes online and will post them shortly.

Last night when I was doing their water change I noticed yellow jell like blobs on some of the leaves and bottom of the tank. Could these be clutches of eggs? This morning when I checked in on them, the two ramshorn were "going at it" (freaked my wife out lol!)