Re doing rockwork

timbruun

I'm debating on removing all my rockwork in my african tank so I can give it a good cleaning and redo it. I would like to leave the rocks out for a week or so, so I can do a couple water changes after cleaning up the tank also. Will this be too stressful on the fish? Is there a better way to get everything clean? The algae on the back wall seems like its starting to get hard and won't come off easily.

I tried snails in there. Not Nerites but I had ramshorns, mts and trapdoor. As far as I can see the mts and ramshorn and all eaten and the trapdoor I took out because it was getting picked on too much.

Plus if I'm taking all the rockwork out anyways, the glass is easy to clean. The snails wont' get the rockwork that well.

I can see the advantages to removing the rocks to facilitate cleaning. I would be inclined to lift them out and place them in a bucket of tank water, keeping them wet, clean, and put the rocks back in until the next cleaning. This way, you would not be losing all the good bacteria on them. Taking them out and leaving them out could precipitate a mini cycle.

Just a thought. :)

What are the odds of causing a mini cycle? I was thinking of cleaning with hot water to make it easier. I'm not sure if I even have a pail/tub big enough that doesn't leak to hold all the rocks. Not including the bathtub which I'm not going to use.

i don't think the rockwork alone would have enough of a colony of bacteria on it to start a mini cycle if that bacteria were to be scrubbed off/dried. most of the bacteria would be in your filter media and in your sand/gravel.

My main concern would be the amount of stress and aggression in the tank while the rockwork was out, since there would be no hidey holes / rest spots.

Get yourself a veggie scrub brush or some coarse scotchbrite pads. Takes all the crap off of the rocks pretty quick. A crest spinbrush works wonders in all the little holes and cracks that are on the rocks. With a veggie scrub brush and spinbrush you can do it rite inside the tank and let the filter pick up whatever algae the fish leave behind.

IMO, you want to find out the source of the algae and work on the problem that way, instead of adding critters to keep it cleaned up. maybe your lights are on too long, direct sunlight on the tank, too many phosphates in the water, erratic water change schedule...... all possible factors in the invasion of the algae.