Typical lenght of time for eggs to hatch.

Dharmie

ive stripped alot and lost very few fry, the mom will hold them too long in a crowded tank and i find she may lose too much weight if there are fry eaters around. In africa they prolly arent confined to a dozen fish every square foot every day all the time, and could maybe find some where more seculded to let them go.

If you strip her, she should definitely be removed from the tank with the fry. The females will often end up eating their fry after they've been stripped because it's disrupted their natural course of action. Some females are good and will take them back, but IME I've never had it happen and they have started to eat their fry.

This morning when i got up she had them all back in her mouth again. She has since spit them out though. Maybe i will put her back with the others. The fry dont NEED her arround?? I just didnt want to split them up if i wasnt suposed to

Edited by Dharmie

• 1 month later...

I like to let the mom hold her fry for about three weeks or untell her mouth looks like it is about to explode. Then i like to put her in a different take about a 10 gallon and when she feels confortable she will realese them to free swim. Make sure you either use a spunge filter or or get some panty hose lol and put it on your hang on filter to protect the fry. Now i am not a fan of stripping her fry. I find it gives her lots of stress and takes away her chances to take care of her fry. Now depending on your female you can either leave her in the tank with her fry. Or you can put her in a saprate take if she is eating her fry. Keep her in a different tank for about a week or two so she can gain some weight back. If she keeps eating her fry you may want to think about stripping her of her fry. Then put her in her orginal tank. But make sure you move everything around so she does not get attacked by the other fish. So good luck with your fry and i hope this helps you out.

i've only stripped a female if they where over due in holding by a week or so. First time around the female held them for so long that fry where crowded enough to be stuck, and that's why i had to strip her in the first place.

I have a firefin pair in a community tank with some notorious fry eaters. Such as compressiceps, calvus and a eyebiter. I strip her whenever i wanna raise some fry. I personally find it no big deal, mom seems relieved afterwards and eats right away. I always put them in a breeder net in the same tank so she can see them. They almost all survive if i take the time to take care of them correctly. Even if i dont stri pher she spits them into 4 or 5 inches of tennnis ball size rocks and smaller. They live down there with the julie fry untill they venture too far and get eaten. stripping peacocks is as natural as keeping them confined in a tank for their life.

• 4 months later...