Echinodorus amazonicus

darkangel

My amazon sword plant is doing something I have never seen before. Last week Thursday I noticed it was throwing up a shoot, it is now about 30 inches long. Today I noticed on the first node of the shoot is another shoot about 10 inches long, and the second node has one that is about 6 inches long. Is this plant going to give me baby plants or just throw shoots all through the tank. I have had baby plants from this one before, but I thought this was a bit strange. I know there are a bunch of plant geeks on here that can maybe shed some light on this.

Nice! It will flower and/or make baby plants. If the spikes are above the water, you will likely get more flowers than plantlets. If you want more plantlets, try to keep the stalk in the water. The babies will grow roots better there too.

Good to know, mine has send up it's second stalk. the first one is outside of the tank and plantlets are growing.

I was wondering how they would get roots. I guess I would have to drop the water level in the tank and force the rooting part below the water?

Here is a pic of the first stalk, it has split in 4 branches. there is limited light outside the tank and they are growing slowly.

Edited by geleen

I have alwyas found that it's best to let the stalk flower out of the water; then, once the flowers have turned to plantlets, put them into the water. I always got the most plants that way. If I left the stalk in the water, many of the bulbs never developed.

I have alwyas found that it's best to let the stalk flower out of the water;

Unfortunately I can't let the stalks grow out of the water, the tank is totally enclosed with the canopy and the lights are only about 1 inch above the surface. If I leave the access open I will have fish on the floor within minutes or the cat will think he is getting a treat for lunch, even though he's too lazy to scratch his own ears.