Flowerhorn at big als

rED O

I was at big als today checking out what they had because I have not been there for a while. At the end of the cichlid section near the desk, there is a stunning flowerhorn in the 40 gallon tank. They are asking $500 bucks :shock: Apparently, it came from one of the ACE members. Does anyone know who it came from exactly?

Thanks!

rED O

Just wondering if you are an active member of ACE being that you are asking which member brought in the Flowerhorn? I do not think this is the proper venue to discuss the ethics of any stores pricing.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm, okay outacontrol...?

I hope someone buys it soon. Its such a amazing looking flowerhorn. And the longer fish are at big als, well I don't have to say, you guys all know about the large cichlids at als. :chair: It has a impressive nuchal hump.

I hope someone buys it soon. Its such a amazing looking flowerhorn. And the longer fish are at big als, well I don't have to say, you guys all know about the large cichlids at als. :chair: It has a impressive nuchal hump.

You did not answer my question; Are you an active ACE member?

You did not answer my question; Are you an active ACE member?

Not anymore

saw the fh today and its easily nicest adult fh, ive ever seen for sale in edmonton... well worth 500.. huge kok and great colouration.

It does rival a high grade fh on aquabid..

great buy for someone with the tank space.

saw the fh today and its easily nicest adult fh, ive ever seen for sale in edmonton... well worth 500.. huge kok and great colouration.

Hahaha changing your mind? I told you it was nice. I can't justify spending that much on a single fish right now. When I saw it I made a offer, but they said the best they could do is $400. All the cichlids are %20 percent off anyways :boxed:

Hahaha changing your mind? I told you it was nice. I can't justify spending that much on a single fish right now. When I saw it I made a offer, but they said the best they could do is $400. All the cichlids are %20 percent off anyways :boxed:

definetly changed my mind, its sooo nice.

I would still be interested in knowing who it came from. I would be very interested in knowing the correct strain of him. If you had a female and bred him you would get alot of stunning fry with kok potential.

Oh really....Hmm i will have to check him out this wknd thats kind of exciting FH's , especially of quality are a rare thing here.

REDO, as with any breeding you could get some high end babies or not, its all upto chance, and how many fry you can grow out to a big enough size to judge . Obviously your chances are much higher with a awesome father like that one than pretty much no chance with a low grade, but overall its a gamble. The other two major factors are 1) if he is fertile or not and 2) they have such a varied gene pool the variation amongst the babies could be huge in comparison to a 'purebred' fish where you have a much better idea of what you are going to get. If its a strong strain though the outcome should be tighter, but of course the female contributes as well. In general though, these high quality "master peices" arent the easiest to come by and its possible u may not get any from several batches.

cant wait to see him!

Exactly, hence the reason you seldom find people breeding high quality FH's in their basement. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it, and the prices would be a fraction of what they currently are. Most high quality male FH's typically are infertile.

:bang1: Yes I am aware of this. But if you knew the strain and had a female and bred them. Yes because they are flowerhorns, most of the eggs would in infertile. And the 30 or so fry you would raise up, you would get a batch with the potential to has a few stunning FH in the batch. Well if it was that easy , your right, everyone and there dog would be breeding flowerhorns trying to make huge money. But out of the batch from that male you would most likely get a real nice fish out of the batch of fry.

Ted: I thought you said you were not going to reply to anything I posted?

When i said infertile, i meant the male, and as in cannot produce offspring at all......shooting blanks so it wouldnt be 30 fry instead of i.e 200, it would be 0 fry instead of i.e 200. Usually the female's eggs are fine in regards to being fertile. It is possible that (as with any species) the male could just be 'less fertile' as well and produce low yields of fry though.

Yea you definetly need a lot of space, wish I could do that!

I did see the fish today, I was actually quite disapointed, and IMO that is a 150-200 fish max. He has fairly nice overall balance, his kok (hump) is there, but by no means is it big in the FH world, and the color he is showing from having faded is nice, but he hasnt completely (and may never) completely fade--a lot of black parts all over him,inconsistent fading/coloring is undesirable. There is a chance its just from stress marks like waht happens with blood parrots under stress, but i doubt it. What value he does have lays within his balance,fading and size, but i certainly would not call this even close to a master peice. I have seen better here in edmonton.

Hopefully you won't have to come back & explain what "shooting blanks" means. :lol:

Your explanation was spot on from the get go Bluecan, many hobbyists don't realize how much effort & time it takes to get a single high quality FH, let alone a masterpiece. Too bad someone couldn't post a pic, I would have been interested in seeing this fish.