Tropheus and Exotci Pleco's

Lethbridge

Hello, I have kept firecracker tropheus with your regular comman pleco's and i have had no problem. However now i am starting another tropheus and but this time I am going to use some exotic plecos like a zebra pleco, vampire pleco, gold nugget pleco, and an emperor pleco, will the tropheus both the pleco's i know that they usually mind their own business but these are some pretty expensive pleco's and i just want to be sure. The tank is 90 gallon seamless bowfront, their will be 18 tropheus moorii "murago" and my exotic plecos, and possible some other Lake Tang. cichlids. Thanks in advance for the information.

Marcus S.

I am a tropheus keeper too and from what I understand, it is a crap shoot with Trophs.

They can never truly be trusted with tankmates. What one colony may ignore, another will torment to death.

Could be a costly experiment. :bang1:

I think that your biggest problem would be ensuring that those plecos receive enough food, while making sure that the tropheus aren't overfed. Those particular species of plecos will not do well on simply scavenging on the leftover particles of food missed by the trophs, or feeding on the biofilm/algae in the tank.

Personally I think that it's a bad idea.

That was a concern of mine as well. I know that troph's are herbivore's and those pleco's are carnivore's but they are also nocturnal, so I would attempt to feed when i turn the lights off. I do not expect for those pleco's to eat algae, or the leftover food etc.

You can feed both groups of fish the exact same food (if you choose your food wisely) but even with the lights out I suspect that the trophs will go into feeding mode as soon as the food hits the water. Most plecos are fairly slow movers, and feeders, where trophs are absolute pigs & are very fast eaters. I still think that in order to satisfy one group, over the long haul the other group is going to suffer.

Well the plan was to feed larger pellets etc. and ones that sink so they tropheus will not be able to eat it before the plecos can get to it, but i see where you are coming from.