i want to setup a salt water tank

fleshgear

Looks like the consensus is all small skimmers all suck, not to bother with a filter, and just use a bunch of live rock(2lbs/Gal) and PWCs.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/nano-protein-skimmer-123088.html

I love this guy's 20 (gone now) http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119022 and like both his writing style and the debates they had.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 20 gal that has been running for 30 months. The equipment list is 20 gal tank, heater, aquaclear 110, 48 watts t5ho, around 10 pounds of LR. For nutrient export I use macroalgae, and filter floss. The only thing in the aquaclear is a bunch of LR rubble and the heater. I have had plans to light the AC and put the macro in it, but it hasn't been done yet. The light on this tank is just borderline adequate for the animals in the tank. The original plan was to get it rolling with the t5 and then move upto leds, I havent' done it yet but still intend to.

Corals in the tank include mushrooms, ricordea, paly's, zoa,s, a couple of tiny SPS frags about 2 inches under the light. There is 1 maroon clown, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 snails, 6 hermits, 1 porcelain crab.

This tank has given me the least trouble of the 4 I have.

The small hob skimmers generally aren't worth their weight in turds. The best small skimmer I've used is a Tunze 9002. I've heard good things about the sapphire nano skimmer.

Do tons of research and go really slow on your build, and it will work out well.

I've got a 20 gal that has been running for 30 months. The equipment list is 20 gal tank, heater, aquaclear 110, 48 watts t5ho, around 10 pounds of LR. For nutrient export I use macroalgae, and filter floss. The only thing in the aquaclear is a bunch of LR rubble and the heater. I have had plans to light the AC and put the macro in it, but it hasn't been done yet. The light on this tank is just borderline adequate for the animals in the tank. The original plan was to get it rolling with the t5 and then move upto leds, I havent' done it yet but still intend to.

Corals in the tank include mushrooms, ricordea, paly's, zoa,s, a couple of tiny SPS frags about 2 inches under the light. There is 1 maroon clown, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 snails, 6 hermits, 1 porcelain crab.

This tank has given me the least trouble of the 4 I have.

The small hob skimmers generally aren't worth their weight in turds. The best small skimmer I've used is a Tunze 9002. I've heard good things about the sapphire nano skimmer.

Do tons of research and go really slow on your build, and it will work out well.

What about water changes. What do you do for that? How much? How often?

I have had a 20g saltwater tank for about a year now, I did have a 90g reef, but it was WAY too much work and I turned it into a heavily planted tank (which is work, but less than the marine). It has 2 clowns and numerous zoos, zoas, and a couple of LPS.

I once had a aquaclear on my tank, took it off, and things went much smoother in terms of algae problems. I would never again add a canister or hob filter to my tank, unless empty with a bit of high quality carbon and cleaned weekly, in my opinion they are only for flow on marine tanks - the sponges tend to trap debris which decomposes and produces nitrates and phosphate which equals algae outbreak. I just use powerheads and a skimmer. Most small skimmers aren't worth their low price tag - I love my Tunze 9002 though. If you have room for a sump, do it, I find the in sump skimmers work so much better.

I find RO/DI water is necessary to prevent algae outbreaks as well (also our pipes are old and have traces of heavy metals in them which irritate my corals).

You should see the 10" bristleworm I have in there... I hope my Mom doesn't...

I will admit though, the constant testing and dosing of calcium, magnesium, and Kalk takes time and all the kits and supplements take up a lot of room. I spend about 15 min a day on my 20g, and 1-2 extra hours every week for testing and cleaning. My 90g took almost 8 hours a week, :shock: which is why I let it go. Speaking of which, I have to go test my water again...

I have been thinking about doing a 20 gallon SW for a while now...and this is what i've come up with.

Any filter will work, but take out the carbon and just leave the sponge part.

A power head will help keep things moving, which is good.

If you end up doing hard corals, you need like 2-4 wpg, but if just zoas then 1-2 wpg is fine.

The protein skimmer is a must if you don't want to be doing water changes every day or two, otherwise the ammonia build up is too much and kills everything.

For water changes, I read that 20-25% is sufficient every week or two, depending on what you've got in the tank. Same principle as FW.

I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be wayyyyy cheaper for me to just buy a set up off of a dis-enchanted member or person off kijiji, 'cause some of this stuff is getting to be very expensive. :boxed:

Exact opposite. Leave the carbon in and take ALL the foam out. Foam = nitrates. I gutted my Fluval except for carbon in the bottom tray and filled it with live rock. You won't need a skimmer on a 20gal, mine's run trouble free without one for 2 years.

So I tore down my 33 gal tank and found the silicone to be in very bad shape. So bad that on the bottom there was roots form the big ozelot growing under the silicone. I think it was a miracle that the tank was not already leaking. Some of the silicone on the sides I took off with my fingers. I didn't need a razor. So I went to walmart to pick up some silicone at 930 pm. Now the tank is resealed and curing.

well, now i am thinking about going with my 46 gallon bowfront after having some issues with the 33 gallon. lol. that still gives me 4wpg of light. now i have to find a new home for some more fish and plants.