flowering red tiger lotus

fleshgear

my red tiger lotus flower finally opened last night, they are night bloomers.

it got a little burnt from the light, but i have moved it out now.

77 gallon tank, i had a different light on it, but i took it off so i could see the flower.

up until recently i had about an inch of duck weed on the surface. and the lotus leaves are huge, about 10 inches in diameter.

the flower is about 2 1/2 to 3" in diameter

IMG_9888Large.jpg

IMG_9885Large.jpg

do you let the plant reach the surface? i didn't really do much, actually nothing at all. the canister filter stop working a while ago, maybe a month or more. i haven't got around to cleaning it yet. i haven't even fertilized it for a month or so.

once this flower goes away i will be trimming all of the leaves that are on the surface to retrain the plant to not go to the surface, and then maybe fix the filter

too many to count, 40 neon tetras, 20+ corydoras, 3 syno petricolas, 2 young bn albino pleco, 1 rainbow fish, 2 peacock gobies, 3 plume tail platies, there was 1 other small pleco, but i havent seen it for several months, many many baby guppies, 1 killifish that has a bent spine(i didnt want to kill it so i put it in there), i think that is all

Fix the filter or you lose your "fish nerd" status. Has all this "salt water" talk gone to your head??

the filter kind of works, maybe an 1/8 of what it is capable of. and it works as a walstad tank. just without the dirt. maybe i will test the water to see what the numbers are.

i just tested the water and it is...

nitrite 0

nitrate 10

i also checked a tank that is very healthy and the filter is working great

nitrite 0

nitrate is crazy high, around 160 somewhere. i havent fertalized for quite a while. i have lots of slow growing plants in here and the other i have lots of fast growing plants.. that i think explains the low nitrate with the fast growing plants.

i will throw some fast growing plants in the high nitrate tank and see what happens in a week