Help with Identifying Please

Spinalcore

I bought 5 assorted Cichlids from Pisces on Friday but I forgot to find out what kinds they are. All that I know is that they are African. I don’t even know what sex any of them are. I am new to cichlids so I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with identifying and sexing them. I would like to start breeders for them and find out exactly how big they get and what kind of setup they like. They are all around 1” and are in a 10 gal together with no signs of aggression with each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here are pics of the first 3. Sorry about the poor quality. I had to use a web cam for them.

1:p.jpeg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spinalcor...b&.dnm=57f8.jpg

2:p.jpeg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spinalcor...b&.dnm=716d.jpg

3:p.jpeg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spinalcor...b&.dnm=aeb8.jpg

4:

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

I beleive this one is a Pseudotropheus Zebra Albino

I have had a guess on another board say #3 could be a Red Pseudotropheus Zebra and #2 a H. Venetus

My guess is that #1 is a regular Pseudotropheus Zebra. But being new to them I don't really know. All that I know is they were all in the same tank together just labled as assorted Africans written on the glass.

I will try to get some better pics of them ASAP.

Ooh you did almost what I did not the best idea, My gues is 1. maylandia lombardoi, 2. nimbochromis venustus, and 4. pseudotropheus scofoli, the nimbochromis will be at least 8 inches, the other two should get five in a ten gallon tank i had lot's of agression and would suggest upgradeing your tank size to atleast 50 as soon as possible about five months at the most

scofoli would be of the snow white variety that's why it's hard to recognize i think, they get them in ocasionally at pisces and i believe that it is just from specialty breeding and not an albino

Here is #s 5 & 6

#5p.jpeg

#6p.jpeg

#5 is more blue to the fins, #6 is more yellow to the fins. But they both look like the same kind to me other than the fin colors.

My plans are a 47Lx20Wx30H "150 gallon" tank in the next month or 2 for all of them. (As soon as I get it built and and it is ready to receive them) Then adding some occellotus, multis and BN plecos.

Currently:

1 of #1

3 of #2

1 of #3

1 of #4

1 of #5

1 of #6

Future:

2 or 3 Gold Occellotus

2 or 3 Blue Occellotus

2 or 3 Multis

2 BN Plecos

Also working on a 50+ gallon Plywood tank

Most of the fish you have shown us appear to mbuna of some sort or another. They may even be hybrids. These fish would not be suitable tankmates for shelldwellers.

The first fish I bought five years ago were from the mixed African tanks at Pisces. The more I delved into the hobby the more frustrated I became at not knowing what they were. Two weeks later I returned them and exchanged them for a named species. (It was a Melanochromis auratus) Great fish, but I found that I couldn't keep anything with it in my 20 gallon tank.

Five years and five tanks later, I now keep a pair of L. occelatus in my 20 gallon tank with a pleco and a couple of rainbowfish.

I would recommend you return these fish and exchange them for fish that you will be certain of their origins. B) . Best of luck with your new tanks.

I would recommend you return these fish and exchange them for fish that you will be certain of their origins.

Ditto

Other than the Ps. "snow white" scolofi, and maybe the N. venustus, the rest are anyones guess, and if sold in an "assorted cichlids" tank, there's a good chance they're of 'mixed heritage'. (ie hybrids)

Sorry, but most times you get what you pay for. I'd suggest a trip to Gold & talk to Albert about some stock for that bigger tank once it's set up.

I just bought them so that I could give the Cichlids a try and see if I can keep from loosing them. My main concern with them at the moment is just to try to keep them healthy and happy. I don't think that I could beat the price and not be to worried about about them dying on me to soon. If they die then they die and I use that to learn from. They sure do seem to be quite happy in there at the moment. They hardly hide at all and seem to swim around together occasionally chasing each other but no real violence/nipping. I was just more concerned with figuring out approximate sizes, diet and habitats with finding out what they are. But since they are my first attempt at cichlids the price is right. (For me at least) I'm still going to try as hard to keep them from dying as I would if they were the more expensive ones.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

I would but I need to get the bigger tanks built before I can get them. So I have to pass for now.

These are my Guess after all of the help and doning research on all the ones guessed to be.

1. Maylandia lombardoi "Young Female"

2.Nimbochromis venustus "Very Young" unsexed

3.Maylandia estherae unsexed

4.Pseudotropheus socolofi "Snow White" (Albino) unsexed

• 2 months later...

number 5 or 6 looks like a fish some one on the board wanted... ill just get the addy he put up with the pics of the fish he wanted. The fishes name is Cyprichromis leptosoma and heres the pics: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_leptosoma_utinta.php

Edited by Raven