Question about Angels

Tigs

Hi there, I'm trying to find the answer to a question or two!

Just how big have you'll seen angels grow to in an aquarium? I realize the 'standard' size everyone quotes is

6inches on the body. There seems to be some debate on whether this is 6 inches including fin or just body length.

As well, how long has it taken for your angels to grow to full size? Much difference between males & females ?

My 7 black veil angels are currently about 3.5-4inches body size on the males and 2.5-3 on the females, quite a visible

difference. They are about 1.5 years old, not including the initial grow out time so say 2 years total maybe a tad less.

I'd really like to get some of the big angles I keep hearing about (and know folks who've seen them in the wild) but have

yet to come across any in the aquarium world.

thanks,

Tigs

I have come accross a 6.5 inch (body only, no fins included). He was HUGE! and so beautiful. With a lot of searching you can find them. But in my days, only one that big has been seen for sale. I have seen others in pictures and such. It happened to be at a petland as a surrender, which was odd.

My angels were 3 years old when I sold them last week, and they had 4 inch bodies. This isn't to say that they would stop growing at that age, but you also have to consider the size of the tanks they grow up in. Those that are in larger thanks will tend to grow faster and larger. How/what you feed them, amount of stress, environment, water conditions etc etc etc... can also influence (and sometimes stunt) their growth.

I bought my angels about a year ago. They were about 1" when I bought them. I bought 3 and they all grew at different speeds. The dominant one is pretty big, maybe 4-5"across the body but the other 2 were smaller. One was only about 2" and the other a bit bigger, maybe 3". I sold them off as the big one was picking on them.

If you are looking for the big huge angels, that would be the altum. Usually have to get them wild unless someone is breeding them. Depending on tank size, water conditions and so forth they will grow very large. I would'nt keep more than 2 in a 140 gal tank, with triple the filtration capacity and at least 50% W/C every week.

until recently i had a silver ghost angel that was easily 6 inches across the body and the fins were easily 1.5 the length of his body. on the side glass of a standard 55 his body was about half the width of the tank. dang, i miss that fish!

Nice ! Do you recall how long it took for said angel to reach that size? I'm hearing from some sources 8-10months and they should be fully grown. Other sources are saying it may take years.

thanks,

Tigs

i had bought him some time in the winter of 2008/2009. i don't recall exactly when but i do remember that i had him in a 20 gal before i got the 55 in Feb/March of '09. when i got him he was about loonie size (body size), so it took about a year for him to get that big. but i overfeed with high quality frozen foods nearly every day, so that may have been a factor.

• 3 weeks later...

I would'nt keep more than 2 in a 140 gal tank

Lol I'm sorry but that's a little overboard. You could keep two Oscars in a 140g and they would be fine, Altums get no where near as big nor aggressive. Altums do get to be a good size, but taller then longer (size and shape similar to Discus 5-7in.) Normally you have to worry more about tank height with these guys. You could fit quite a few in a 140g though.

Tigs,

If they are anything like Discus, they will spend most of their time growing for the first 10-12months of their life. For the next year after this, it will be very little, and slow growth. This is at least for Discus, so maybe what your researching is both correct.

Edited by DiscusKeeper403