What colour is water conditioner?

Raven

Was doing a water change yesterday and notice the liquid in the bottle was clear..... something told me that wasn't right. So i'm here to make sure.... its supposed to be amber right? The fish seem fine, so far. Oh, and i changed one of the carbon filters just in case. so if the conditioner was unless then maybe it will remove everything.

Edited by Raven

There are many different types of water conditioning that I have seen over the years....

The one I use for dechlorinator/chloramine remover is clear, But I have seen some that had added aloe which turns the water milky.

There is also Black water conditioner that simulates the natural fresh water environment.

I have also used one conditioning product for free floating debris in the water use for sand that stay free floating in the water, which is amber in color.

But over the years in this hobby, I have become a big believer in adjusting the fish to the water conditions rather than the other way around.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Vitaminz

The brand is top fin water conditioner. From petsmart. Usually just add it to make the water safe right?

Edited by Raven

Raven - FYI Top Fin water conditioner is a sodium thiosulfate based product that will not bind free ammonia (such as Seachem Prime does) and is not a product that I would recommend for tap water that has been treated with chloramine. (such as the water in Edmonton)

What they state on their label about neutralizing chloramine is misleading at best, and false advertising at worst.

Ingredients:

Water, EDTA, PVP, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Thiosulfate, Glycerin.

HTH

I may prefer it dyed. I am constantly overflowing that sneeky cap with the clear varieties.

But over the years in this hobby, I have become a big believer in adjusting the fish to the water conditions rather than the other way around.

How many years did it take to develop a chloramine tolerant fish ? :shock:

huh, well, i'll just have to try and get some new stuff from PJ's, since petsmart is crap. i just hope the price it right, lol.

RD is right prime is a must for a city like edmonton with the use of chloramine in the water. The prime is really the only "choice" for your fish. If you do not use prime you are basically adding ammonia every time you change your water. I learned that from alberta aquatica(right after i bought a large supply of normal water conditioner). Prime is not very expensive and it takes so little to treat water.

I may prefer it dyed. I am constantly overflowing that sneeky cap with the clear varieties.

How many years did it take to develop a chloramine tolerant fish ? shock.gif

Hahaha, I use bottled water to fill my fish tank... Too funny....tongue_out.gif