Mussels in Fish tank?

Yesterday I had a quiz in Biology 30 about populations and genetics and unfortunately the 4th question I think was about Zebra Mussesl, which got me thinking (throughout the whole test) can you keep mussels or clams in the tank? Arent they supposed to be great filters?

I tried searching online and found conflicting information, some say they are amazing and some say no, the people that say no say the biggest problem is feeding them?

I know this is most likely a stupid idea, but I asked out of curiosity, I was just curious if adding a couple of clams/mussels to a 5 gallon would improve its filtration?

Thanks guys

supposedly yes it would improve biological filtration. look on ebay there are sellers that sell large amounts of freshwater clams and mussels for fish tanks. I think pjs at west edmonton mall has some.

sweet, cuz I dont want to have them die and have an ammonia spike >.>

Ill probably search up how to setup a tank for them and then try them in a bucket or something, but what do I feed them? Do I have to feed them anything? or will they survive on microscopic organisms if I transfer some water from other tanks?

Thanks JLake

hi ,i had mussels and oysters in my reef tank it worked for a few months till i think they starved,they required a lot of phyto plantion or food but they had a better life then they would of had for a while,i think if you can get some fresh water mussels or Zebra Mussels out of the river i don't see why it would not work if they had sufficient food

You can find fresh water clams for sale at BAs every once in a while. If you can keep them fed, they do a good job in the tank; but, when they die, you often don't realize it b/c they're burried in the substrate. You ever smell a dead, rotten shelfish? Big time gross! And, if you don't have a big tank, a dead clam will wipe it out.

lol thanks Jvision Jlake and trav for all your help, I am still curious what to feed it and yeah I dont think I should get one because the last thing I need is another wiped out tank, but what is the foamy white stuff that they release, I was seeing some on youtube and personally found it disgusting, if I saw that in my tank I would be intensly grossed out

thanks again

If you can find a freshwater mussel (the ones at grocery stores are almost always saltwater), you can feed it very finely ground up fish food or algae wafers. As Jvision noted, you probably won't notice a dead mussel until it's far into decomposition (yummy!), so I don't know if I'd try it in my main tank, but it can be done.