Fish Parasite??

HarleyBeautiful

Last monday I went to family pet store in sherwood park and bought a Large percula clown and a Long Tentacle Anemone that it was paired with and introduced them to my 33 gallon . Two days later I lost the clown and that night I noticed a kind of Haze on my boxfish and bigwhite spots on him. I also noticed one dead damsel. The next morning the boxfish was dead :angry: !

I only have one damsel left as far as fish go. I am thinking it was a fish parasite because I never lose fish( except for the moving accident) and the anemone and the rest of the inverts are fine. the shrimp is fine as well.

I am severly disapointed in Family Pet Centre and will never by livestock from there again. I phoned and asked and apparently all there marine tanks are filtered seperatly and not on one large system.

I try to practice very little chemical usage in my tanks so I am looking for suggestions on how to clear this up. I am going to get on a big water change tommorow and just wondering if I should medicate (don't like to) or what else.

ahh, the joys of marine (no guarantee).

any suggestions from past expierences would be great. Thanx

As I search for more info on the web I ran into a form that said a quarantine tank is a must. Supposably marine diseases are hard to fight, and medications are very harmful to inverts. The more I search the more money this hobby costs. Very expensive.

Quarantine tanks will save you incredible amounts of money over the long run. Basics looks something like this:

20 gal tank $25

Heater $ 36

AC 300 $35

Hiding places $whatever

Just under $100 for something that will keep your tank healthy? Good tradeoff IMO.

Anyway, with the clowns; wild clownfish can be exceptionally poor shippers. Sometimes you will get animals that come out of the bag already covered with that velvety crap (clownfish disease).

Most of the stuff can be taken cared of with malachite green.