Salt and pepper catfish

Jester

So I just bought a salt and pepper catfish, he is a tiny little thing and sort of an impulsive buy. he was so cute and I took him then and there not knowing to much about them... anyone have any tips for keeping the little guy safe and happy? Do any of you own one and how have they made you tank ^_^

first thing i would consider doing is to get your lil guy some cory friends. cories are social and love to be with others of their own kind. what size tank is he in? that will determine how many more cories you can comfortably and properly house.

cories are scavenging bottom feeders and will eat pretty much anything you feed your fish. a well balanced and variety-filled diet is good for them. flakes, frozen, pellets, algae wafers, etc. my cories love to snack on the snail jello i make for my apple snails.

also, what kind of substrate do you have in the tank? some types of gravel can be too sharp for cories, and can cause damage to the barbels on their 'chins'.

btw, the other name for your cory is 'corydoras habrosus'.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

first thing i would consider doing is to get your lil guy some cory friends. cories are social and love to be with others of their own kind. what size tank is he in? that will determine how many more cories you can comfortably and properly house.

cories are scavenging bottom feeders and will eat pretty much anything you feed your fish. a well balanced and variety-filled diet is good for them. flakes, frozen, pellets, algae wafers, etc. my cories love to snack on the snail jello i make for my apple snails.

also, what kind of substrate do you have in the tank? some types of gravel can be too sharp for cories, and can cause damage to the barbels on their 'chins'.

btw, the other name for your cory is 'corydoras habrosus'.

Right now I have a 21 gallon tank that has a giant danio in it, the bottom is just glass pebbles mixed with black and white gravel

DSCF0712.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

DSCF0708.jpg

Syno,

A correction for you. C. paleatus are "pepper" catfish. Then later in life, like all of us, they turn into "salt and pepper" catfish :smokey:

Jester, you might want to look into switching the substrate in your tank. cories like to sift through the top layer to get at all the food goodies left behind by other fish. sand is by far the most enjoyed substrate for cories, as they can burrow into it a little bit. in my tank with 9 various cories, they actually dig the sand out from under the small gravel so they can 'play' in it.

also, your glass pebbles and large gravel can accumulate a lot of waste in between the pieces, which can make keeping the tank clean a bigger chore than it has to be. this i know, i used to have gravel about the same size as yours and it was an absolute pain to gravel vac it and keep it clean.

that size tank, you could easily have a few more cories to keep each other company.

and oh, fishclubgirl, too funny!!!!! rollin.gif

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Jester, you might want to look into switching the substrate in your tank. cories like to sift through the top layer to get at all the food goodies left behind by other fish. sand is by far the most enjoyed substrate for cories, as they can burrow into it a little bit. in my tank with 9 various cories, they actually dig the sand out from under the small gravel so they can 'play' in it.

also, your glass pebbles and large gravel can accumulate a lot of waste in between the pieces, which can make keeping the tank clean a bigger chore than it has to be. this i know, i used to have gravel about the same size as yours and it was an absolute pain to gravel vac it and keep it clean.

that size tank, you could easily have a few more cories to keep each other company.

and oh, fishclubgirl, too funny!!!!! rollin.gif

i'm cleaning by hand at the moment I havent bought A gravel vac yet, So just a layer of sand Would be fine in my tank ?

sand would be perfect. since you only need a little bit and there's no sense buying a whole big bag, i have a whole bunch of extra play sand (not used) and could spare some if you want. let me know.

I would really appreciate that more then you'd ever know!! ^_^