Shrimp

devocole

Does anyone in Alberta have any pigmy sized shrimp. Not cherry, green, crystal or bumblebee. I'm looking for a smaller shrimp variety that is not a vibrant color, less then an inch in length.

Also does anyone know an adequate way to raise daphnia. I don't want to collect them from ponds because i don't want to introduce foreign stuff to my tank.

Thanks guys

Edited by devocole

I keep Daphnia in a 5 gal pail, feeding them spirulina flakes. I wet the flakes in a BS net, then squeeze the mush thru. Pick up a culture from TNT, you won't be disappointed.

I keep Daphnia in a 5 gal pail, feeding them spirulina flakes. I wet the flakes in a BS net, then squeeze the mush thru. Pick up a culture from TNT, you won't be disappointed.

Daphnia for food. The shrimp as pets.

Thanks Jason. I didn't expect T&T to have them. Also you make it sound easy. Do you have a light over the pail. Inside or outside. How often do you change the water. Is it easy????

Edited by devocole

The pail is on my fishroom floor with just ambient light. I change the water when they slow down in reproduction. Yes, it is easy!

This message is for vallisneria only as i changed a previous post. No not for food, for pets.

And LOL, i'm an idiot. I went to T&T asian market, and got baffled looks from everyone. Lots of pointing to frozen shrimp varieties.

I have now found the right T&T

Edited by devocole

A 200 to 220 liter water barrel with an air pump to keep the water circulating will allow you to raise daphnia outside (during the spring thru fall) and you can feed them with a yeast solution. I would suggest a screen mesh cover to keep mosquitoes and dragon flies from laying their larva and don't forget to use treated water as water fleas don't like clorine.

Sorry, I didn't mean T&T supermarket, I meant TNT Aquatica - a sponsor of this site. :)