Trying to save the eggs!!

Bandi

I had a couple of red jewels spawn..I was so excited until that very day, they ate all their eggs. But a week later they spawned again...so I was determined to rescue the eggs from becoming another meal. Usually the course of action is to remove the rock or wood containing the eggs and incubate them in a small tank. But, unfortunately, these guys spawned on a 3.5 foot peice of drift wood. So I removed all the fish from the tank, placed a air stone near the eggs and I can tell they are ready to hatch very soon now.

My question is, can I safely siphon the fry out as soon as they hatch, or do I have to wait a couple of days until they are free swimming? I am worried they are going to get lost as they fall off the drift wood and into the gravel...this is a 120 gallon tank they are in.

Any advice?

you can try to syphon what you can, or use a jar put in the water and sway the water near the wigglers with ur hand to make them float into the jar then transfer them that way. You will almost definetly lose some fry, but they will breed again shortly anyways so i wouldnt worry about it too much.

I use a turkey baster when moving small fry or eggs around -- works great just suck them in and put your finger on the bottom when removing it from the water

I use a turkey baster when moving small fry or eggs around -- works great just suck them in and put your finger on the bottom when removing it from the water

ya, I have used basters also, that might be the best. Thanks