Up periscope

jewels

This is a photo of a Crypt Balansae. It was a sub-terrainian runner. Sometime after it emerged and devoloped leaves I began to notice root like shafts heading for the light / or are they seeking oxygen ?

I do not recognize these structures. The Ameca's keep them trimmed down so I do not know how they would develop further un-molested.

th_P1160929.jpg

If you're talking about the stalk right against the glass, it's a new plant. I started with only 3 C. balansae about 12 yrs ago, and have had thick forests as much as 2'square in tanks over the years. It's probably my favorite plant and always keep at least 2 when I switch things around.

The sprout is in the centre of the photo. The runner appered at the glass where you see it at the bottom of the photo. From there it went up and the roots went down. Only after a month or two did the other structures appear. There is one on the left and three to the right of the sprout. They have been there for months and they themselves are not sprouts. I am curious as to thier function.

Edited by jewels

how deep is the gravel? the plant looks like it is a little bit too deep in the gravel. but it might just look that way. in the picture, the gravel looks 4-5 inches deep. if it is that deep, i would pull it up closer to the surface. right now it looks like the base of the leaves are buried as well. the only part of the plant that needs to be buried is the rhizome and roots. even then, i have lots of crypts that are just floating and growing fine.

i was looking through your photo album and seen that plant in an older picture. it looked healthier before. i would defiantly pull it up so only the rhizome and roots are under the gravel

This is the older photo I belive

th_P1160311.jpg

This is when the sprout appeared. It was a runner that hit from about 10 inches away from the parent plant. It choose that altitude to run and surface. In this photo; after sprouting three leaves or so, we see the first of the downward root growth begining. The doward roots delevolped nicely. It was only after a month or two that I saw the other structures heading to ground level.

Originaly this was a shady corner, after some heavy trimming it gets more intense light. The plant is still healthy at this point, although with increased light the is some GDA creeping in.

This plant; not unlike others, hugs the ground in high light. In lower light they are more erect. In extremely high light they do not grow that well at all.