Massive fry die off

Bandi

I usually leave multiple sponge filters in the tanks with my breeders in well cycled tanks. Once the female is ready to be seperated, I take her out at night and put her into a smaller tank along with the sponge filter that has collected a good bio load already from the main tank. She remains in the smaller tank with no light until she spits her fry. The female then gets put into another tank for a few days by herself to eat and replenish herself before being adding back to the main tank. I have never had a problem with fry doin it this way but then again these are with mouth broaders and Im not sure if yours are or not.

Allan

I usually leave multiple sponge filters in the tanks with my breeders in well cycled tanks. Once the female is ready to be seperated, I take her out at night and put her into a smaller tank along with the sponge filter that has collected a good bio load already from the main tank. She remains in the smaller tank with no light until she spits her fry. The female then gets put into another tank for a few days by herself to eat and replenish herself before being adding back to the main tank. I have never had a problem with fry doin it this way but then again these are with mouth broaders and Im not sure if yours are or not.

Allan

Sounds like good sound practice and I will do the same with my mouth brooders when the time comes. These fry were from substrate layers, about 200-250 fry from one batch.

I really like the microworm suggestions you're getting. They live for almost a week in freshwater and stay alive. Just feed enough so that you can see a little on the bottom daily. Dry foods are quite concentrated sources of nutrient and can spoil quite quickly when not consumed immediately. I also add some snails to my fry tanks as, like most aquarists, we tend to overfeed rather than underfeed fry. This gives a bit of leeway in case of error.

Well it has been day 6 with another batch of fry from the same parents. Lucky for me they are very prolific. Any way, I have lowered the temp to about 78 degrees, put the eggs (now free swimming fry) in a 10 gallon tank with a HOB filter (with the intake covered with a large sponge) and I have added some antifungus stuff at half strength. So are, the fry are great. Very few have died and they are swimming strong and energetically. I am feeding them infusoria for now and will switch to baby brine shimp soon.

Thanks for all your advice, I'll keep you posted.