(Found+Updates)Lf Dog/cat

Baos

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doctor says it would be good for me to get a pet...

I guess I am worried that you did not say you would like a pet.

While pet ownership is well known to be both mentally and physically therapeutic, I would advise caution. Getting a pet because you should and wanting a pet are not the same. In former case maintenance like walking can take on similar resentment to taking medications over time.

If you choose to get a pet I wish you all the best.

Ok, let me fraise that differently. I absolutely want a dog or large cat. While a cat takes less work and is easier to care for and hopefully causes no fish tank problems. I'd love a dog to join me for jogging. I'm going to be very selective as this is a pet I'm going to have for it's entire life. I can't get a small dog as there are mastifs next door. While they are very friendly a small dog could easily get hurt.

You need to get what your heart tells you. Look around be very picky. The one that steals your heart and gives you that totally aweeeee I gotta have him/her then that is the pet for you.

google the breeds you are interested in, the one that sounds the best and most fitting to your family probably is. If you get a kitten and a puppy at the same time you can have both. Our dogs get along with all of our cats... The little poodles always check up on the kittens to ensure they are okay. They would also keep each other company while you are away at work.

I want to type of dog my dad used to have on his farm. Apparently it wasn't a husky like I thought. It was blue healer/german Sheppard/wolf. Very beautiful dog.

I've had very good experiences with the Humane Society... when I was a girl we adopted a small dog from them who lived to be 13 years old. Later as a young adult I adopted one of my current dogs, Kelly (the smaller one in my avatar), who is now 14.5. ALL dogs require work, unfortunately they don't come out-of-the-box-ready-trained (I wish!). Please consider a rescue, as mentioned before they are usually fostered in a loving home and have been through personality evaluations, usually they've already started on the training and have them fixed. Also, if, for whatever reason, the adoption doesn't work out, they'll usually take the animal back. You can't lose.

Here's a list of rescues in Alberta... I cruise them on a regular basis, just can't help myself.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/abrescue.htm

Humane Society, SPCA absolutely the best way to go.

I just adopted my 3rd pound puppy, I've had him for 2 weeks now his is almost perfect. (excellent on a leash, but no leas and he's gone).

Huskies are a great pet as for runners, like any dog it's all in the training.

When you do decide which bread you want, do lots of research (just like getting new fish).

Good luck on finding the right one.

I would not purchase a healer if you live in town. They are a working dog and require a venue to use up their energy. Cross breds are nice in ways as they are not as prone to breed specific diseases.

However there is no way to trace their lineage either.

We have a border collie 75% x great pyr 12.5% x Newf 12.5 % he is the best dog ever, super easy to train and loves people. His down side he would not make a good in town type dog, because of his working lineage he requires a good source of excercise which a fenced yard or or daily walks would not be enough for him. So he runs with our poodles and great pyr's. He chases coyotes all night long and plays during the day ...

You do need to make the decision of where to get the dog but that is entirely up to you as it is very much a personal opinion as to where you feel comfortable. Also where your finances will allow.

Research and research some more for the best option for you.

Ok, let me fraise that differently. I absolutely want a dog or large cat. While a cat takes less work and is easier to care for and hopefully causes no fish tank problems. I'd love a dog to join me for jogging. I'm going to be very selective as this is a pet I'm going to have for it's entire life. I can't get a small dog as there are mastifs next door. While they are very friendly a small dog could easily get hurt.

Great to hear. Seen way to many issues with this over the years.

I want to type of dog my dad used to have on his farm...

Keep in mind your location and the room the breed you select needs. I fell in love with a border collie named Maggie that need a good home, but my available yard and limited walk time would not be enough for her.

Heelers (as in nips heels, not make you well) need a lot of room and need to be worked/played with. If you go outdoors a lot you might be fine, but as a city dog they can become aggressive and listless.

Yeah I fostered a red heeler for a few months and she laid a licking on a few of my pitties. Smart sog just under stimulated in the city, she went to a farm near brooks.

Whatever dog I find will be aiding me while I get better and hopefully encouraging me to walk more. In the future it will join me for lots of long hikes and possibly some light mountain climbing. My fiance and I are avid campers and generally travel long distances a few times a year.

... hopefully encouraging me to walk more.

You may want to try getting yourself out walking in preperation for the dog as encouragment. Have a goal like once you go for two 5KM walks a day for 20 days you are ready to start looking.

The other way tends no to work so well, leading to poor animal health and shelter drop offs.