LEVAMISOLE HCL

Jayba

As taken from: http://www.canadianaquatics.com/

Dewormer of callamanus worms

Instructions:

First do as large of a water change as you can without stressing the fish and make sure you do a gravel vacuum. Clean your gravel as much as you can as there may be baby worms in it. Treat the tank with the medication. Each 5 gram packet treats 88-100 gallons of water. So, when you get a 5 gram packet, add 88-100 ml of water to it and each 1ml of medication will treat 1 gallon of tank water. Try to keep the lights off when possible as the medication is light sensitive (from what I've been told).

Continue with the regular feedings and don't do another water change for at least 2 days. Then, on the third or fourth day you can do another major water change. I'd wait for about 1 month before I treat the tank again as you may not get all the worms in the first shot e.g. hiding in the gravel.

I'd suggest doing 2 doses especially if you have gravel in the tank.

The info provided above is incorrect, and comes from Charles Harrison via Ken Laidlow (from an old apisto mailing list) .....(see initial comment in this thread) and basically boils down to using 5 times the dosage rate recommended by a DVM who specializes in this field. (again, please see links in original comment in this thread)

The original comment in this discussion was written by yours truly, and sent to Jayba, Jay then posted it here. This is yet another classic example of people repeating info that's been posted on the internet, and it then being repeated by the masses until it's considered gospel.

That doesn't make the information correct.

At 5 grams per 100 gallons some fish will be severely stressed, some will die, and a certain amount of ones bio bacteria will also die. I have experienced this first hand, as have others at this dosage rate.

At 1 gram per 100 gallons I have had no stress issues, and the worms have started being passed within a couple of hours, so this dosage rate is obviously effective.

I would suggest that anyone that is considering using this medication to read the 3 links provided in the original comment, save yourself some $$$$, and possibly the life of a fish.

With regards to Fenbendazole, you might want to read this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=42250

Finally Al (brewmaster) and I can agree on something.

HTH

Edited by RD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just recently had an out break of Camallanus worms as well, I was just wondering if anyone here in edmonton would have any of this medication left over that I could purchase, or if im stuck to importing it as well, I only need enough to treat a 10 gallon tank.

Would you sell me it or something? My poor girlfriend, I just got her into the hobby about 5 months ago, and she's been so keen about taking care of her tank and this outbreak of worms has her destroyed, she feels awful almost to the point of giving up with it, and I'd hate to see that happen simply because she caught something that happens once in a blue moon.

yeah you will only need .3 grams for your whole 3 time treatment. Come get it in sherwood park when you can. Trade you for anything of small value ie plants or ill just give it to you if you have no trade