LEVAMISOLE HCL

Jayba

A couple of interesting articles that you might be interested in reading with regards to the dosage rate suggested when treating fish for worms using Levasimole HCl.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091

http://www.loaches.c...hydrochloride-1

It appears that the scientific community considers 2ppm of Levasimole HCl to be an adequate dosage, which works out to 1gr per 100 gallons, not 5gr per 100 gallons as constantly reported on the internet.

The 5gr dosage rate originates from Charles Harrison, who is a chemist/ fish hobbyist, that sells Levasimole HCl, not a VMD that specializes in treating tropical fish. (such as Dr. Roy Yanong) http://fishweb.ifas....nong/Yanong.htm

Dr. Yanong also suggests that the treatment duration be 24 hrs, not 3 days as currently suggested by Charles Harrison. It appears that Charles got his info from a killi hobbyist (Ken Laidlaw), that as far as I can tell has no real qualifications for treating fish for disease etc beyond the hobbyist level. Also, originally Charles/Ken recommended only treating for 24 hrs, not 3 days. (then repeating 2-3 weeks later)

Last night I treated one of my recently acquired fish (a 4+ inch female flowerhorn) with your 55 gallon dose, and within 30 minutes she went to the bottom, appeared stressed, and is still on the bottom this morning. Other than I felt she could potentially have worms (no visible signs, just a hunch so I was using the better safe than sorry logic) this fish has been eating like a horse & acting very healthy.

If what the Dr. states is correct, I just treated her with 5X the recommeneded dose. This is most likely whey some people state online that Levasimole treatments were hard on this fish, and the fish showed visible signs of stress during treatment.

The good news is, using 1gr per 100 gallons, I now have enough meds on hand to treat both tanks twice. smile.gif

Thanks again!

i'll comment....lol....sure glad i don't need this stuff! so far so good in the worms dept. i hope your fish are all good and healthy soon! also, thanks for the research. there is so much info out there to grab ahold of......

I just noticed today that jungle anti-parasite food contains metronidazole 1.0%, praziquantel 0.5%, levamisole 0.4%. If you're lucky you'll find it at a petsmart thats currently liquidating it's stock. Think I bought this large jug for $4.

Back to the original post... I like Levamisole HCL and my fish didn't show any stress while treating. Believe it or not but I got called in to work the day i was supposed to do the water change on the tank and life got really really busy so it was a week before i could do the water change on the tank and by then all the fish were swimming around with allot more energy and eating vigorously unlike before so at the right doseage it's easy and seems to be very worry free.

Thanks for posting the articles I'll bookmark them for the next time i need to dose my tanks.

Here is how i dosed my tank.

1 5g packet into

100ml of water

dosed 1ml per 10 gallons

Worked like a charm

L

Edited by Ishkabod

Back to the original post... I like Levamisole HCL and my fish didn't show any stress while treating. Believe it or not but I got called in to work the day i was supposed to do the water change on the tank and life got really really busy so it was a week before i could do the water change on the tank and by then all the fish were swimming around with allot more energy and eating vigorously unlike before so at the right doseage it's easy and seems to be very worry free.

Thanks for posting the articles I'll bookmark them for the next time i need to dose my tanks.

Here is how i dosed my tank.

1 10g packet into

100ml of water

dosed 1ml per 10 gallons

Worked like a charm

L

Where did you pick your up from?

As taken from: http://www.canadianaquatics.com/

Dewormer of callamanus worms

Instructions:

First do as large of a water change as you can without stressing the fish and make sure you do a gravel vacuum. Clean your gravel as much as you can as there may be baby worms in it. Treat the tank with the medication. Each 5 gram packet treats 88-100 gallons of water. So, when you get a 5 gram packet, add 88-100 ml of water to it and each 1ml of medication will treat 1 gallon of tank water. Try to keep the lights off when possible as the medication is light sensitive (from what I've been told).

Continue with the regular feedings and don't do another water change for at least 2 days. Then, on the third or fourth day you can do another major water change. I'd wait for about 1 month before I treat the tank again as you may not get all the worms in the first shot e.g. hiding in the gravel.

I'd suggest doing 2 doses especially if you have gravel in the tank.

I also have 100 grams on the way. Not really sure if it will get stopped at the border or not, we will see. It will be way less expensive than the route I went last time, and of course I will share. If using the 2ppm dosage 100 grams will treat 10,000 gallons. I really don't need that much. I will keep everyone posted.