Pressurived DIY CO2 Need Feedback

Morphine

Hey,

I've recently joined the site thanks to a helpful Petsmart employee!

I'm interested in Planted tanks, after having cichlids and being bored silly of the bare rocks and gravel I've decided to go Planted. I'm looking into making my own Pressurized CO2 I've researched for the last week and ordered some supplies and I've drawn up my plan and I think it will work I just want some feedback in someone who has a little more expirence then myself, or someone who has built one and already has gone through headaches on what works and what doesn't!!!!

http://img22.imagesh...1990/co2diy.png

Sorry, It wouldn't let me upload my pictures might be becasue I haven't posted enough.

Anyways I hope someone can give me some feedback on my plans whether I have something wrong, or if you figure it might work out better a different way. I know there are alot of plans out there from CO2 DIY's I figured I'de problem solve with my own.

Thanks,

Jordan

The schematic looks to be a winner. Although some of the components are beyond minimal, not knowing what you have already ordered - I would say 'it will work just fine ' :thumbs:

Consider getting a powerhead to distribute CO2. With bright lights and heavy ferting you really need to pump out the gas.

I noticed you listed possible sizes of cylinder. A five pound will last for months; but be aware it is smaller than the trade standard and as such carries a premium price to refill.

A ten pound upgrade will pay for itself in discounted contents within a year. :smokey:

:welcome: Welcome aboard !! :welcome:

hey,

I appreciate the feedback, correct me if i'm wrong about a powerhead. Basically it just helps diffuse the CO2 into the tank by breaking up the Co2 bubbles. Do you think that the ladder diffuser won't be enough?? What if I swapped the ladder diffuser for a glass diffuser I noticed that they pump out smaller bubbles which would be fine because I can guage my CO2 ppm through my bubble counter off my needle valve.

Thanks,

Jordam

Those ladder diffusors don't diffuse the CO2 enough in larger tanks. They're fine for tanks up to 25gal, but even then you'll want some current blowing across them. I feed the CO2 into the intake of my powerhead (not the venturi), which distributes a fine CO2 mist. I like your set-up otherwise.

IME, to get the most enjoyment out of a planted tank is to plant heavily from the offset - don't ease into it. If you can't afford to fill your tank with new plants from the store, keep an eye on the Buy/Sell forum; many of us have LOADS of clippings that we sell for great prices (or less!).

Jason,

Thanks for your words of wisdom I think i'm definetly going to have to invest in a powerhead, It seems by the way your explaining it that, that's the best means of getting co2 in my tank. I need to wait to build my lighting system and co2 before I start to flood my tank with plants.

Sorry If you don't mind me asking what's the means behind filling the tank with plants, why is that beneficial rather then introducing a few at a time?

Thanks,

Jordan

Most people want to give their plants all that they need, meaning 2+ WPG and ferts. When you only have a few plants in the tank, they can't use all available nutrients, so you start fighting a losing battle with algae. However, if you start with a full tank of plants, you have the biomass to use up all the light and nutrients; and, it's a lot easier to combat algae.

Plus, if you start with a full tank of plants, you don't have to cycle the tank before adding fish - the plants will absorb all ammonia the new fish release. It's the best way to go - a tank full of plants and fish with no waiting! :w00t:

Haha, I guess that makes alot of sense just running it through the hamster on the wheel up top is the hard part. I'll be posting the progress on the forums somewhere when I get all my stuff setup and tank going and I will be taking your advice with adding all the plants at the same time. I just need to keep my eyes open on the Vendor forums for someone dishing off some clippings or plants in general. I also have to pay a visit to natures corner in the days coming.

Jason thanks alot for your input!

Jordan

PM Tanker and get yourself a journal.

Also, when you're ready for plants, send me a PM. I always have extra plants.

No, Tanker can set up a Journal section for you to make a thread about your tank - look on the main page under Member Journals to see what I mean.

• 8 months later...