Trying to breed snails...

Wayne

Hey guys I have had a snail tank setup for a year at least and I still haven't been able to get anything from it. I suspect that the bigger crab apple snails are eating the young? Or that the neon tetras where eating the eggs? The tetras were removed and I am now strongly considering moving the big snails... I try my best to over feed and I do water changes and vacuums every week. I am not trying to breed any particular type of snail, I just need something to feed my starving dwarf pea puffer. I do see egg sacs but nothing every develops and my fish store is getting tired of searching for snails for me. Please any advice would be awsome.

Feed more. I have a plethora of ramshorn snails in my fry tanks - they do great when the tank is heavily fed. If you need more in the interm, give me a PM.

If you are seeing egg sacs they are from pond/smaller snails. NOTHING I have encountered will eat these sacs.

Apple/brigs/spixi's all lay thier eggs over the water line. Egg sacs are usualy serendipitously found up in the canopy. If they cannot get above the waterline they will not breed.

All snails keep a lower profile when there are no curoius fish around.

Stop gravel vacc'ing

Umm if I stop vacumming the gravel all the poop will accumulate... I understand why to stop but how do I keep the ammonia from rising too much from the waste?

Oh and I will drop the water level, cause mines pretty high.

i have a pond snail, and i read that even with one it will breed with itself and create a tank take over. Or at least that's what i'm waiting for.

What kind of substraite would be best in the breeding tank? Right now I have fairly large rocks in would sand or smaller rock be better?

Also I understand that gravel vacuuming will suck up smaller snails, is there some sort of better waste control...

Wayne, you could try sand instead of gravel, since all the gunk will sit on top of the sand and keeping the tank clean would be much easier. instead of using a gravel vac you could just swirl the water right above the sand and let the mulm and detritus flow into the filter intakes. but if you have a snail only tank i don't see too much mulm accumulating, especially if your snail population is mostly ramshorns like the ones you picked up off me. i swear they even eat poop, since i never see any in that lil betta tank, ever!

if you want to swing by again one day i have lots of extra dry and un-rinsed playsand. bought a bag of it a while ago and only needed a portion for my tanks, so i have about a third of a rubbermaid left over. just give me a shout.

Oh I can use play sand smile.gif I have a huge bag of that. I bought to hold down some fake flowers at my wedding, but we used water bottles instead. Never knew what to do with it after cause it had a small hole so I didn't want to return it smile.gif Does it need to be changed out regularly?

Edited by Wayne